A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Folding mirrors question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding mirrors question

Hi,

I have a question about folding mirrors on 1999 facelift S8. The problem is they seem to unfold to far. When they fold up they will be in right place but upon unfolding they go too far out.

Has anybondy any idea how to fix this?

Thank you...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Folding mirrors question (long..)

Just had this problem on my S6. The right mirror was folded out by hand when the car was parked with the mirrors folded in. Since then that mirror didn't stop in the correct position when folded out, but continued to a rediculous angle.

I had to disassemble the complete mirror to find the problem. Not easy to explain without pictures but I'll try:

In the folding mechanism there is an electric motor that turns a gear in the mirror base to fold it. To save the gears from overload, the "hinge" is spring loaded. (you can see the mirror moving up a few mm and detaching from the folding mechanism when folding it by hand.)

There is also a second mechanism with a small spring loaded steel pin (dia 2-3 mm) inside the gear mechanism. This pin can get stuck and then it will not engage the corresponding teeth in the gear and hence it will not stop in the correct angle. (works just like a ratchet..) Just pull out this small steel pin and its spring, or push it out wit a piece of wire from behind and clean it and put some grease on it and it will work again.

But this requires the complete mirror to be removed from the door, the mirror glass and cap removed, the spring loaded hinge disassembled, and finally the gear mechanism taken apart.
A lot of work but if you are somewhat technical it is not very difficult. The most difficult thing is to de- and reassemble the spring loaded hinge of the mirror with its locking clip. This requires a vice and some thinking to put it together..