A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump O-ring/gasket question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump O-ring/gasket question!

Hey guys and girls, got a quick question which im sure some of you will know the answer to regarding a large O-ring that is used somewhere in the fuel pump assembly.

Fuel pump on my '01 S8 died a few weeks back, so i did the job in my garage one morning. All went smooth following a few nice videos (thank you guys whoever you are) on youtube, and the car fired right up afterwards.

However, when i was cleaning up my tools afterwards, i grabbed the bucket that i used to place the entire housing as well as the float in, and noticed there was a large black rubber O-ring in the bottom of the bucket. Sh*t. Since then, the car has run perfect, but, i am getting a Large EVAP leak code, and im all but certain it has to do with that missing O-ring. I reclicked the gas cap, and im confident in how tight i have the large locking ring that holds the assembly to the gas tank, and as well as that huge sealing gasket was on straight. I do get a seemingly random smell of gas every now and again, but never from inside the car, not even at the access lid in the trunk, its always on the outside, and very faint. Anyways, i was hoping that anyone with any first hand experience might know exactly where this O-ring is SUPPOSED to be fitted. The size to me looks like it is supposed to go either around the top of the float, or underneath the plastic lid that locks into place that covers the float, but im not sure. I certainly dont remember seeing it when i did the work, but it obviously fell right off of whatever it was on.

For a little reference, it is the ring all the way to the left in this picture.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated! I just wanted to run it by the community before i go poking around again, because i want this to be hopefully the last time im messing around with the fuel pump!

Thanks all

EDIT*** - Just after I wrote this, I had to fill up for the first time since the pump install, and then head into work. I filled up, and took a look under the car after the pump stopped, and some gas came from somewhere and dropped on the pavement. Not enough to be alarming, but enough to know that, it had to of come from the top of the tank, so that O-ring is certainly very important!! Im at work all day and night but might be able to check this out tomorrow morning.

Last edited by osin34; 04-13-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by osin34
Hey guys and girls, got a quick question which im sure some of you will know the answer to regarding a large O-ring that is used somewhere in the fuel pump assembly.

Fuel pump on my '01 S8 died a few weeks back, so i did the job in my garage one morning. All went smooth following a few nice videos (thank you guys whoever you are) on youtube, and the car fired right up afterwards.

However, when i was cleaning up my tools afterwards, i grabbed the bucket that i used to place the entire housing as well as the float in, and noticed there was a large black rubber O-ring in the bottom of the bucket. Sh*t. Since then, the car has run perfect, but, i am getting a Large EVAP leak code, and im all but certain it has to do with that missing O-ring. I reclicked the gas cap, and im confident in how tight i have the large locking ring that holds the assembly to the gas tank, and as well as that huge sealing gasket was on straight. I do get a seemingly random smell of gas every now and again, but never from inside the car, not even at the access lid in the trunk, its always on the outside, and very faint. Anyways, i was hoping that anyone with any first hand experience might know exactly where this O-ring is SUPPOSED to be fitted. The size to me looks like it is supposed to go either around the top of the float, or underneath the plastic lid that locks into place that covers the float, but im not sure. I certainly dont remember seeing it when i did the work, but it obviously fell right off of whatever it was on.

For a little reference, it is the ring all the way to the left in this picture.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated! I just wanted to run it by the community before i go poking around again, because i want this to be hopefully the last time im messing around with the fuel pump!

Thanks all

EDIT*** - Just after I wrote this, I had to fill up for the first time since the pump install, and then head into work. I filled up, and took a look under the car after the pump stopped, and some gas came from somewhere and dropped on the pavement. Not enough to be alarming, but enough to know that, it had to of come from the top of the tank, so that O-ring is certainly very important!! Im at work all day and night but might be able to check this out tomorrow morning.
It fits on the top on the assembly, I usually apply some vaseline or something similar to lubricate it

http://twiga-used-parts.com/thumbnai...axx=300&maxy=0

Last edited by audinutt; 04-13-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, but i guess i'm still wondering where exactly on the top of the assembly it goes. I looked at that picture in the link you posted and i can't see it anywhere. Is it on top like, underneath the plastic cap with the spring that holds the float down?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Also when the fuel pump is changed you end up with cracks in the cap over the fuel pump assembly, these can be hard to see but if you fill up with gas on a warm day you can probably see them bubble particularly if you spray a little soapy water on the cover. You may have a bigger issue, bigger leak, but this can be a source of nagging small evap leaks. Some good plastic epoxy can help with this.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the replies guys. Since i've been trying to track down and fix some other nagging codes related to O2 sensors and those things, i've been in and out of scanning the codes regularly, but only after the pump install did i get the EVAP leak code. So this morning I put the missing Oring back where i BELIEVE it's supposed to go (under the white plastic 2-hole locking cap on the top of the assembly) and, upon checking everything for tightness, i realized the giant locking ring wasn't as tight as i thought it was... The assembly moved around a little bit when i was fiddling, obviously because it wasn't sealed and tight enough. Turned it maybe another 1/8 of a turn and she was good. Cleared the code and we will see how it turns out, have driven about 8-10 miles doing errands today.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by osin34
thanks for the replies guys. Since i've been trying to track down and fix some other nagging codes related to O2 sensors and those things, i've been in and out of scanning the codes regularly, but only after the pump install did i get the EVAP leak code. So this morning I put the missing Oring back where i BELIEVE it's supposed to go (under the white plastic 2-hole locking cap on the top of the assembly) and, upon checking everything for tightness, i realized the giant locking ring wasn't as tight as i thought it was... The assembly moved around a little bit when i was fiddling, obviously because it wasn't sealed and tight enough. Turned it maybe another 1/8 of a turn and she was good. Cleared the code and we will see how it turns out, have driven about 8-10 miles doing errands today.
If you have vcds/vagcom you can force the evap tests to run to make sure your leak is fixed.
Used it on both of my d2's to track down an evap leak after doing the fuel pumps.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...PxvjiC6gv2V9A/

-Richard

Last edited by audinutt; 04-18-2017 at 08:15 PM.