A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess how much it costs to change a cigarette lighter fuse at the dealer while under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Guess how much it costs to change a cigarette lighter fuse at the dealer while under warranty?

My GF's B6 A4 cigarette lighter got stuck in the socket and wouldn't come out. I tried to pry it once, but it didn't go so I told her bring it in, your car is under warranty.

She brought it in, they said it was the fuse to it was blown and it's not covered by the warranty or maintenance program. They said it was $55 to replace it, she told them don't do it after talking to me.

They called her back and told her that she would only save $5 because they had to charge her a $50 troubleshooting fee (1/2 hour).

I told her to complain, but in the end, she paid $50 for the labor and $2.50 for the fuse.

How do they know what caused it to fail? The lighter piece was in it when it failed!

The dealer is Fletcher Jones in Chicago.....I really don't like how she was treated in this case, why can't they cut somebody a little slack who has bought two new A4's back to back?

Would a Lexus dealer do this? I think not from what I have read.

pw
Old 03-29-2004, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gino is the Man!.........Dime in Ashtray?

Gino is the service manager for Audi. I would bring it to his attention and let him know you can take the care to Laurel or Mc Grath for warranty items in the future.

I have been going to Fletcher Jones or Loeber for years and they have never over charged me. I may have had somone try but then say "You have got to be kidding, I have been coming here for X number of years."

I even helped a friend get a clutch replaced on an 01' S4. The car was in warranty (less than 50k) but they would not cover the cluth. I made a phone call on my friend's behalf to someone at the dealer (not Gino) and they took care of the clutch for my friend. They said the clutch could be a wear item and would be covered under scheduled maintenance. You just have to know who to call at your dealer as the items are at the dealer's will.

If they think you have money, they are going to throw in an extra $50 or so now and again. Just look at them like they are ripping you off and they will not charge you. In this case, they did not need to charge the half hour labor.

Overall, I would give them a 9 out of 10. I have blown my cigarette lighter fuse atleast three times. I always keep my change in the ashtry and dimes get lodged in perfectly, blowing the fuse with contact. Now, I just keep my change in the second cup holder. Ashtray is for dollar bills only....
Old 03-29-2004, 04:03 PM

Default A Honda Dealer Would Not Do This.

I guess that dealer thinks the $55 is more important than future car sales. The dealer could have used that opportunity to make a quick, cheap fix and look like the heroes. I'm sure Chicago has more that one Audi dealership.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:06 PM

Default "Service" and new car sales depts are basically unrelated..

at most dealerships. You would have to have management intervention above both departments to get common sense satisfaction. This is a basic organizational shortfall.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's a mistake too many sales people seem to make...
Old 03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you should have known not to go to fletcher jones!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exactly correct.

Sales, service, and parts are typically separate profit centers, which often leads to irrational to the customer, but totally rational to the department, organizational behavior.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Guess how much it costs to change a cigarette lighter fuse at the dealer while under warranty?

Well. That is way to much.

Also, 2.5$ for a fuse, I got charged 3$ a fuse at a chevy dealer when they replaced my horn . Car was still under warranty.

THe fuse is about 20c else where.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 AM

Default That is a crock of bullpucky. I'd tell them to invest it wisely, b/c it's the last $50 they'll

ever make from me. So they can think about it, or just do it, and I'll make sure it wasn't worth their while via AoA, Audiworld, etc...

That's just inexcusable.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Agreed, I hear my GF is going to give them bad ratings on the survey

Audi dealers will do anything to get top notch results on those surveys....so I guess they'll learn a lesson.

And what the hell? $50??? This dealer is in the Gold Coast in Chicago....treat your customers with some respect!

pw