A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the starter motor on a 2001 audi a8l

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the starter motor on a 2001 audi a8l

How complex is it to replace the starter motor on a 2001 Audi A8L? Do I need to drop the subframe to accomplish this the easiest way?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashbot71
How complex is it to replace the starter motor on a 2001 Audi A8L? Do I need to drop the subframe to accomplish this the easiest way?
Very ... includes supporting the motor and dropping the subframe >>>

Search
Old 10-04-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to change the starter without dropping the subframe, but it's still a very complex procedure. On my girlfriend's car we accessed the starter from the front of the engine compartment by first putting the car into service mode, then removing everything that's blocking the starter from coming out through the front. To gain access this way, here's a brief order of operations:
1. Put the car into service mode - (Remove the front bumper, brackets, and entire front end containing the cooling circuits)
2. Remove the alternator
3. Remove the oil cooler (not fun)
4. Remove the passenger side engine mount
5. Finally remove the starter (bear in mind that one starter bolt is accessed between the engine and firewall near the top of the bell housing)
Installation is the reverse of removal.

That said, one thing to look at before changing the starter is the positive junction point in the passenger wheel well located on the bottom side of the frame. This point is notorious for corroding, and if that wire is corroded, you'll experience very similar symptoms of a starter gone bad. Trust me - I'm talking from experience. We changed the starter on my girlfriend's car only to hear the new starter "click" after the job was done. We checked this junction point AFTER changing the starter only to find that this junction was the problem all along. We spent all day performing an unnecessary job, only to find the real problem - which we could have fixed in less than an hour.

That said, after you've checked the junction in the passenger wheel well and you're POSITIVE that the starer is bad; then this job can easily be done in a day assuming you have a good arsenal of tools for the job, and have decent mechanical experience. (i.e. You're not a mechanical beginner, and this isn't your first time turning a wrench on a car). Either way, dropping the subframe or going in through the front is going to be a not so fun job.