A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC motor adaption - how do you do that?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default HVAC motor adaption - how do you do that?

I have a couple of flaps that are clicking and driving me crazy. I replaced one, it was totally stripped and probably need to swap another.

After I replace the bad ones, do I want to run "Adaption" or run "Basic Settings"?

I'm confused between what each of them do. In either case, what identified the "address" in the Bentley for each flap? I see a 3 digit code which is preceeded by a "V" but I think vag-com is looking for a 2 digit address.

Bob
Old 10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Basic Settings

From the Bently, HVAC, 01 OBD, Basic Settings (funciton 04):

Indicated on display (function selection):
Press buttons -0- and -4- to select "Basic Setting" function 04.
Rapid data transfer Q
04 - Basic Setting Indicated on display
Press -Q- button to confirm input.
Note:
On some types of A/C control head -E87- as of index "M", display group number "001" is not accepted and display group number "000" must be entered for these control modules.
Basic Setting Q
Enter display group number XXX When indicated on display:
Press buttons -0-, -0- and -1- (or -0-, -0- and -0-) to select "display group number 001" (or "000") and press -Q- button to confirm input.
Notes:
If a malfunction is detected at an actuator motor during basic setting, A/C control head -E87- with part number as of index "M" enters a replacement value for the impact which is not being reached. The malfunction "adaptation limit exceeded" is stored in DTC memory and the replacement value for this actuator motor will be displayed in measured value block.
All motors of the A/C system are now moved into their end stops, the end position is stored in the A/C control head -E87- (resistance level of the position sensors installed in the motors).
Basic setting 0
50 Indicated on display
Display now counts down to 0 (sec.) starting at 50 (sec.).
Basic setting 0
0 Indicated on display
When readout is 0 (sec.) basic setting is ended.
Press ? button.
Check DTC memory => page AUDI-D3-HA01-01-001-0601-14.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thanks Paul, that helped. I replaced 2 of the motors and unplugged another.

This has been a recurring issue on my car because it's noted on a couple of dealer receipts.

I always thought the three digit (001 or 000) was where you entered a specfic address. Shows you how much I know about vag-com!

You can get to 5 of the 6 interior motors by taking off the side panels on each side of the center console. Ignore the Bentley because it tells you to remove a lot more than you need to.

The 6th one (the one I unplugged) is on TOP next to the heater core. You have to remove the entire dash to replace the motor! I couldn't see another way so the Bentley might be right here.

With a mirror, I managed to get my hand up there and unplug the connector. No chance of swapping that motor. Unplugging it was really difficult, my wrist still hurts.

All of the motors are the same and fortunately I had all six left over from my last car. The connectors have bright yellow connectors so at least they're easy to see.

Finally, there is a note about clicking "every 7 mins" in the Bentley. I know a few of you have this issue. I didn't really pay attention to what the fix was but it must be running basic settings, motor replacement or both.

Bob
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have something clicking that sounds like it's coming from the engine bay itself...

Near the right of the blower fan. Definitely HVAC related, only occurs when the blower is running though. If it take off the cowl cover on the right and put my hand on the valve unit, I can "feel" the clicking.

Any ideas what this might be? It's really strange, because the noise almost sounds "sizzley" like electronic, but I dont think it is. It could just be an echo, but it sounds like it could be occuring somewhere in the coolant plumbing, or...?

I know there are also a couple motors around the blower as well. I think one is for adjusting fresh air intake, don't know what the other is for.

Any suggestions or speculation is appreciated!

Edit: Noise occurs consistently, like click-click (1 sec pause) click-click.

Harder to hear from in the cabin. For some reason I have a suspicion it's NOT a vent adjusting motor, which seems like it could be really bad .