A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a little HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I need a little HELP!!!

Ok, I am going on vacation tomorrow, but my car is sick. The accessory power in coming on randomly. I turn the car off, the radio is off, I lock the car, alarm is armed. I come back later and the door is still locked, but the alarm is disarmed and my radio is on. When I open the door I have the door beeping. (Like when you have the key in the ignition and you open the door). I need to unplug my fridge, car PC, turn off the radio and all the other accessories to make sure my battery won't die. Is there an accessory relay somewhere?
One more thing. When I shot the door harder or hit the lower dash the radio comes on.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like a loose wire or bad ground?? I had a similar issue

with my aftermarket stereo in my saab and I used to bang on the dash and radio came on etc. Found out it was a loose wire. when power wires hit ground sometimes things blow sometimes it makes acc go nuts. I am sure you already thought of a loose wire. I know it is a PITA to take it all aprat to find it. electrical things are funto figure out..
Old 06-24-2005, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To start, double-check the chassis ground from the battery...

I had a Tahoe that had a loose chassis ground bolt. Similar problems.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a "load reduction relay"...

in the leftmost position on the central electrical panel, which appears to have six relays or sockets in a line and wiring posts facing you after you remove the cover under the front passenger footwell.

This relay energizes the X wire which runs some but not all accessories. Not sure how it makes the key chime happen when there's no key in, nor whether the alarm pays attention to the X wire. (There is also other switched power which doesn't go through the relay.) The turn signals and rear defogger get power from the X wire, if that helps.

If the headlights work with the key off, then the relay is being told to turn on and is not faulty. The relay coil is wired to the same ignition switch contact as feeds the headlights (and what else, I don't know).

Some other questions if you want me to look more at the wiring diagram and think about this:
- if you turn off the radio before turning off the car, will it still turn on if you slam the door or hit the dash?
- what things beside the radio have power when they shouldn't? What things remain off?

Tom
Old 06-25-2005, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: There is a "load reduction relay"...

There is an antenna amplifier and a phone unit in the trunk. They both powered when you turn on the radio without the key. I don't have the phone box anymore, but I have 3 12V outlet in the trunk. They are powered from the battery trough a relay and the relay is switched by the antenna amplifier. So if I turn on the radio ( with or without the ignition ) I have power to my fridge and the car PC. Because the accessory power turns on randomly it triggers the radio and the radio turns on the rest. I pulled the radio and if I move the radio, it turns on. I am leaving for California so I don't have time to deal with it, I just disconnect everything every night.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The radio, for 1997 at least, IS wired to the key-in-ignition contact

Does it normally play after you turn off the car until you remove the key from the ignition switch?

So it seems a short in the ignition switch or radio wiring which allows this wire to get power would explain both your radio coming on and the beeping you heard with the door open. The alarm system also monitors this wire.

Tom