A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think Audi needs a redesign on the redesign of the A8 before it hits the market!!! The spy shots

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dunno about ugly, but i'm *so* glad it's not the a8
Old 07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh the irony; get a grip man.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the new agressive mantle is already won........

The light wood trim will probably make it to production. However, it will most likely be offered in Europe only. Americans will most likely only get the dark wood trim. This is because the light wood trim appeals to a very scarce few Americans. I, like you am most certainly not one of them. I hope the black and grey interiors will have a dark cherry color wood and the beige interior(s) a dark mahogany color wood.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I really like the new A8

Everytime I see the current model on the streets, it exudes class and simply looks beautiful. With this new design, they've kept the overall cut of the A8 and simply updated it. BMW tried to go the sporty new age look with the new 7 and people aren't exactly rejoicing about it. If I'm disappointed about anything on the new A8 it would be the engine choices. I think there should be too models...a 350hp regular or long wheelbase A8, and a 400plus hp S8.

disclaimer...i don't know crap about cars...just know what i like )
Old 07-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Elder Member

Agree
Old 07-11-2002, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default what are you talking about the 7-series looks quite sporty have you seen it?

and so does the MB S-Class, both of these cars have style and a distinct look about them. The cat eye's of the S-Class is gourgeous. Sweeping curves of the 7 Series are voluptuos. The A8, exudes, nothing, it's bland, it has nothing about it that stands out, nothing, that would make me take a second look when I see it on the road.
If I were not an Audi fan, I probably wouldn't care to know, who made it.

MB and BMW both managed to stay conservative with their flagships, yet, still offer sportiness, and a style, that would make the likes of hip-hop star Jay-Z feature them in his video, as well as sported by any NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, player ... while at the same time appealing to politicians, and so on and so forth ... the A8 inspire's nothing. It stirs up nothing.

The fact of the matter is BMW and MB do so much more, than just be "conservative" with their flagships, along with MB's S-Class classy, sporty, stylish looks, the amenities can't be touched, the car has a stiched leather dash board, for god's sake. The BMW's idrive is marvelous, and the drive ... the A8 excels at nothing in this class, the looks, boring, the drive fairly good, the luxuries (lacking), ... and so on ... Audi has never done the A8 justice, it's done so well, with the A4 and A6, I just don't understand how they can continually drop the ball on the A8. It looks like a VW Pheaton, with 4 rings on it, in fact I like the Pheaton more than I like the A8.

The A8 is about as boring and bland and uninspiring as any Acura on the market, and god knows those car, take the official "average" award.

When you see the flagship of a Car company, it should stir the blood, you should think one day ... just maybe ... if I save enough I can have one. The A8 lack of success in comparison to the BMW 7 Series and MB S-Class, is a direct result, of the lack of inspiration as well as overall averageness that the A8 exudes.

Audi was moving in the right direction with the Avantissimo, more of it's design should have made it into the A8. The Avantissimo was regal, yet sporty, stylish, and had all the gizmo and gadgets any luxury man could ask for?

The Avantissimo had Keyless entry, litterally, keyless entry you don't need a key, MB has been doing this for several years now, with their Security Card system, which allows access to the car, and uses laser/radio frequency electronic keys. Audi has designed a similar system, why didn't it make it into the A8?

I could go on about why the A8 is dull, and as any man, who requires luxury, style, class and inspiration would look else where. But, hey, if you guys like it, well I love it.

When one see's the flag ship
Old 07-11-2002, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no one is saying take all of the Avantissmo, but there are so much style and technology

that could have been borrowed. The Avantissmo interior is gourgeous, the luxury appointments would rival anything that MB could ever contrive, the Bi-Xenon Advanced lighting system should have made it into the A8, there are so many things that should have been borrowed from the Avantissimo, I'm not asking them to build the car, I'm not much for wagons, but the Avantissimo had so many technological advances and styling queue's that should have been used, to give the A8 the style, inspiration, technology and class to compete in a very competative market. Basically, Audi just rebadged the Pheaton, and that is in a word, "DULL!!!!!"

Please read on the Avantissimo, please read about the Advanced Security Entry System, the Control System, the Lighting System, I mean luxury is about having "sh*t" no man in his right mind should ever need. The A8 gives you none of that.

For gods sake, the damn door sills of MB are illuminated with the words Mercedes, and the illumination can be in colors such as green, yellow, blue, red, purple, I mean whats the point ... ? Am I going to look down at the sill, and say hey look, theres Mercedes written in neon I must now buy one, probably not, but it looks luxurious it looks pointless, which is what luxury is all about. I mean the damn doors on the MB S-Class close by themselves, Lexus also has this feature for the LS430, but when those door shut it's like being in your own personal jet. This is style, technology, and pampering Audi just lacks with A8. It's just too bad.

The A8, is bland, boring, technologically uninspiring (except for some engine mechanics), and for the most part behind the curve and standard set by Mercedes and BMW. I'm disappointed. Audi was doing so well, the A6, and A4 (the car that brought Audi back to life) were such a forward step, I could never see Audi making this backword move.

By the way Audi, if your listening, can you get some better "rims"?

Please revisit pictures of the Avantissimo, and see just how gourgeous that interior was, read up on it's technology, and you'll be wondering why some of those enhancements never made it, into the A8.

A8 = average = dull = uninspiring.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default are you mad, the S-Class has stitched leather dash boards, you call that sh*t

I the biggest Audi fan, but I'm more of a fan of truth, your mad if you think Audi A8 technology even remotely touches the S-Class Interior Technologies. The S-Class has stiched leather dash board, 16-way power seats, front and back, it also, has airconditioned seats for all occupants, I mean I could go on and on, MB doesn't even use keys any more, they have key cards you can slip in your pocket or wear around your neck, and when you get close to the doors they will unlock or lock as you walk away from the car, the keys that MB do have are not "laser cut" but they are actual laser+radio frequency transmitters, that electronically open and unlock the door, MB luxury technology is pretty unparalled. If you think the interior the A8 is can touch leather/wood dashboards and such your crazy.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:55 AM
V

Default The new A3 will also be a conservative design..

It will not, apparently, be based on the Steppenwolf concept as was reported previously. But rather, it will be an evolution of the current A3. Too bad, as I really liked the Steppenwolf. We might have to wait for the next A6 for another Audi design revolution.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't what 2Tonic was saying, but the A8 looks very much like the Pheaton

What picture's have you been looking at? The cars look nearly identical? Put 4 rings on the Audi Pheaton and A big W on the Volks Wagon A8, and you'd never no the difference.

Quick Reply: I think Audi needs a redesign on the redesign of the A8 before it hits the market!!! The spy shots