A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think Audi needs a redesign on the redesign of the A8 before it hits the market!!! The spy shots

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was talking about luxury, I hate the LS430, I agree it is boring to look at

looks, I agree it's boring as hell, and it's a shame, because the amentities are plentiful in this car, and almost rival what can be had in the MS S-Class. Furthermore, read any car review, the LS 430 always rate extremely high in it's class. I never understood it, until, I sat in the car, but it's the kind of car, I really wouldn't to drive it's more of the kind, where I would want to be a passenger, being chauffered around.

I was specifically refering to luxury appointments in the car, not, exterior looks, interior appointments in the car are first rate. But, first you've got to get people in the thing, I just happened to get in the car by chance while at Lexus dealership with friend, and was definitely wowed, had no idea the amentities were so plentiful within the car. But, as I said, looking from the outside I thought everything about the car would boring. And that's a problem, that same, fate may befall the new A8. And definitely old A8 did not come close to the other manufacturers offerings, MB, Lexus, and BMW all had it beat hands down.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:56 AM

Default I still don't see the luxuary

I understand your point but the LS430 is substandard. That's all. I test drove the LS430 with ultra luxuary package so I have spent time in it. You keep talking about gadgets (that's all they are) and how the A8 dosen't have enough of them and a true luxuary car needs gadgets. Well the LS430 dosen't have any. It doesn't feel like anything special. Sure it has soft seats like a cadillac and it has navigation but that is it. The wood trim is tacky (at least the grey in the UL package), the whole HVAC / Nav / Radio segment of the dash is nothing more than ordinary. I truley felt as if I could have been sitting in a honda accord with wood. It just wasn't special feeling. Even the old A8 felt special in comparison. I agree the A8 will probably not be a smash hit like the BMW (will be eventually) and the merc are but that is because Audi has not had the time to build up its name. Mercedes is like Rolex...perceived to be the best but there are many other brands that are as good and better that are priced less (BMW & AUDI). The A8 will be a fabulous car, it will easily compete in the market but it will not have the success that it deserves for a couple more generations. But when it gets it it will have earned it whereas Lexus is a manufactured Marque that does everything adequatly, nothing great. Just my opinions ( and rantings ) but wait until you see the A8 I have faith that you will be seriously suprised at the gadgets as well as the styling.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:05 AM

Default This is a silly argument...

because Audi does not do nearly the volume of Merc or BMW in the U.S. Even if the new A8 was the most incredible car in its class it wouldn't outsell the S-class or 7-series because there's a huge segment of the luxo-buying population who buy purely based on badge. This is something that will take much more than one car to change, probably more like a decade, perhaps even more.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:07 AM

Default There's being critical...

and there's making an argument for the sake of making an argument, which is what I think you're doing.

Based on a press release and a handful of photos you are completely panning a car. How "informed" can your opinion be when no one has seen the beast in the flesh let alone driven it?

If the car turns out to be a dog when it hits the streets I'll be the first to come to your defense and call a dog a dog, but until then I'd say it's more sensible to reserve judgement.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Actually it does, with the Alcantra package

The S500 have upgraded Nappa leather on the seats and door insert, most of the AMG and V12 models have full leather interior with alcantara headliner.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Most of those stuff you mentioned are offered as options except for the 600

From MB USA, options for the S500:

ABC - $2960
Rear Ventilated seats - $1565
Rear Climate Control - $1880
Distronic - $2875
Or - Four place seating - $5770
Electric trunk closer - $460
Keyless Go - $995
Parktronic - $1015
Tire Pressure Monitor - $615
Front multicontour, ventilated seats - $1490
Wood/Leather shift **** and steering wheel - $820
Rear side roller blind - $310
And if you add the Sports package - $4975
Also the V60 phone kit - $2500

The grand total in option:
4-place seating - $30000+
Otherwise - $25000+
plus the cost of the car itself.

Keep in mind most of these options as now offered in most competitors when new cars come out. The Phaeton has almost all the options that Mercedes offers for far less, so expect most of these options will also be available in the A8. Also, the keyless go in the Mercedes still requires you to press a button on the door handle to open the doors. Most of these new technology Mercedes offers is also co-developed with other companies like Bosch, which means these features will be available to most manufacturers when they decide to include it in the car.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default things have changed a lot since 1994...

the main area where a8 sales have been disappointing is north america; they've always sold well in europe, especially in more wintry climates like switzerland.

when the first generation a8 came out, audi was basically fighting for their lives in north america, with the whole "unintended acceleration" crap still fresh in the minds of most americans. furthermore, they did not have the resources to properly promote the car until *years* later, and by that time it was already considered dated in the eyes of the american public. also, consider that in 1994, there were very few shops capable of working on the aluminum frame, which caused lots of hassles for owners -- today, many shops are capable of working on these beasts.

given that this is the flagship of their line and given that audi is in excellent financial shape today, i think audi is going to market this car heavily, and i think it's going to make a big splash with existing luxury car owners, especially:

1. e38 bmw owners who want a fresh look, but don't like the radical styling of the e65.

2. lexus 400/430 owners who want something with all-wheel drive and more sporting character.

3. mercedes s-class owners who are fed up with mercedes absurd pricing and build quality issues (the s-class in particular has been widely criticized for its shoddy build quality).

as i said, time will tell, but i think enough has changed such that you will not see a repeat of what happened with the first generation a8.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default look at A4 sales, fresh design = history making record breaking sales

3 Series and E/C Class (before when E was lowest model MB), ruled the roost in the entry level luxury market until the A4 arrived in 95. MB and BMW still out sell Audi in this segment, but Audi made a name for it's self with A4, it was Audi's rebirth in the American market. The A4 was bold, curvy, well built, excellent interior appointments, and excellent drive, fresh design, and Audi was resurrected, not just here but all over the world, to the tune of 2,000,000 global sales of A4 design. Audi has had record breaking sales because of that car. No one is saying you can outsell MB and BMW, right now, but you sure can make a heck of splash.

Is Lambo, going, to outsell Ferrari in the US market in 2002, probably not, but they sure as hell will sell more than the 4 cars, they sold in 2001. But that's because Lambo finally updated 10 year old car designs, and they are ariving with new 160K-180K baby lambo that is supposedly beautiful and georgous and fast, to compete with the Ferrari F360 Spider. It's all about being bold and venturing and daring to compete.

It's what brought Audi back to life in the US, and IMHO it's what will take Audi to the next step. Not building conservative boring rebadged Audi Pheatons ... I mean Audi A8's.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default things changed in 1995 because of the A4, and the A4 was far from boring

The A4 with it's sleek design, awesome build, and stellar performance brought Audi back to life in the US. A8 sales still suck, because, Audi never updated the A8 with boldness brashness and sleekness yet luxurious modeling that made the A4 an excellent saler. This concept worked so well, that the A4, has aided Audi in hitting all time record breaking sales mark.

So, it has nothing to do with time, they've had time, they had a chance, they could have done the A8 justice, just as the A4 did Audi.

Audi, didn't try to steal 3 series and C Class through hey let's hope you get fed up with your current manufacturer, but they did it through simply coming out with a better product IMHO, and the A8 is not a better product than the 7 Series and S Class. That's just my IMHO, and I make this statement judging on what's been announced, the final product may be different, even at that the car is definitely not eye catching, it definitely does not have that "wow" factor, that my generation has become accustomed. The 7 series and S Class do, and if Audi is content to stay with mediocrity with the A8, then they will continue to get mediocre sales in that segment.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default didn't you read my post, didn't I say the only fair thing was to wait for car to come out

Once again, you didn't hear me, I said my opinions were unjust as I've never seen and or driven the car in person, so I should hold out further judgement.

But I still hold to the fact that from what I have seen I'm not impressed.

But will hope that when more information becomes available to me, I will make my final conclusion.

Quick Reply: I think Audi needs a redesign on the redesign of the A8 before it hits the market!!! The spy shots