A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Linkage Arms - Unbreakable Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by audinutt
This one appears to have the integrated spring inside the diaphram if so it is not the correct replacement and will inhibit the manifold from closing as fast as it should, I tried a couple like this and they didn't work like they should.
Interesting. How can you tell it has an internal spring? ...not just from the photo, I'm guessing. If so, because the rubber looks so tight, maybe?

But true, if it has any built in spring (depending how strong) it would not be a direct operational replacement. When checking (outside the car) the correct design should be able to collapse and stay there or expand and stay there.

Even a new one should hold this position if pushed in >>>

Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrahm
I think I can feel the buildup of corrosion that makes the flaps harder to open and close when I mess around with my system.

It might be that with metal rods and cups the system will fight back harder and keep the buildup from freezing up the works.

I tried spraying in there with some Deep Creep, both from the throttle body side and on the bearing/seal where the shaft goes through the manifold. the latter application seemed to help more but neither seemed to help much. I also siliconed the vacuum actuators to try to keep the bellows supple.

The metal rods and joints are probably a good upgrade and coupled with frequent workouts the system might stay working throughout the motor's life cycle. Environment will be a factor, sea air for example would probably make the corrosion worse.

At any rate I think a metal rod assembly is likely a better match to the sturdy-looking arms and springs.
Hi,

At what rpm and speed do you feel that the intake manifold is working correctly.

Compared to a friends 01 S8 mine is very slow on reacting on the gaspedal.

Since the actuators are working I cut of the vacuum lines to them and went for a drive. I sensed no difference in power or accelerating.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mark US-V8
Hi,

At what rpm and speed do you feel that the intake manifold is working correctly.

Compared to a friends 01 S8 mine is very slow on reacting on the gaspedal.

Since the actuators are working I cut of the vacuum lines to them and went for a drive. I sensed no difference in power or accelerating.
Watch the pods while someone else starts (then shuts off) the car. If they're working right, they will withdraw within a second or so...and refill quickly when engine shuts off. If it works slowly or incompletely then either the pivots are seizing and need cleaning or you have a vacuum leak somewhere at the front of the engine...even a small leak in any small vacuum line will hinder quick operation.

In actual driving operation, the S8 manifold only switches over once (2 stage instead of 3 like A8) with both pods simultaneously at over well 5000 rpms. The A8 opens 1 pod 1st at 3360, then the 2nd at 5200.

Sorry, but if they are working and you feel no difference without them, then you just don't know your car very well or no feeling for torque at all. Look at the chart in the link below. If the pods are not collapsed (pulled back) at idle, then you are losing a whole lot of low rpm torque in your most used driving range (3300 and below). If you can't feel that, then leave it alone and enjoy your.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/44689.phtml

Cheers
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

in park if you just raise the rpms higher and higher you can watch the servos switch over at a certain RPM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Watch the pods while someone else starts (then shuts off) the car. If they're working right, they will withdraw within a second or so...and refill quickly when engine shuts off. If it works slowly or incompletely then either the pivots are seizing and need cleaning or you have a vacuum leak somewhere at the front of the engine...even a small leak in any small vacuum line will hinder quick operation.

In actual driving operation, the S8 manifold only switches over once (2 stage instead of 3 like A8) with both pods simultaneously at over well 5000 rpms. The A8 opens 1 pod 1st at 3360, then the 2nd at 5200.

Sorry, but if they are working and you feel no difference without them, then you just don't know your car very well or no feeling for torque at all. Look at the chart in the link below. If the pods are not collapsed (pulled back) at idle, then you are losing a whole lot of low rpm torque in your most used driving range (3300 and below). If you can't feel that, then leave it alone and enjoy your.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/44689.phtml

Cheers
mmmm, my pods are working and close immediatly on start. But that doesnt mean the flaps are working or? As I read somewhere that the connection can be internally broken.

My problem is just that the engine is reacting slow on pushing the gaspedal in terms of quick revving up. Although I just tried the max speed of the S8 in Germany and I can tell the limiter is taken of.

Besides we have three S8s to compare so you can leave the last comment behind it does not help to a solution where we are looking for.

Yhe car is just last week checked at ZF GErmany for the gearbox, new sparkplugs, bobines, put another LMM in it and other things but still not the sollution
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mark US-V8
mmmm, my pods are working and close immediatly on start. But that doesnt mean the flaps are working or? As I read somewhere that the connection can be internally broken.
Not bloody likely...if the pods are working, arms are attached and the pivots are moving, it's working. They flaps don't break on the inside, unless you've sucked a squirrel through the intake.

"I read somewhere that the" world is going to end on December 21st. I'll let know how that goes...or not
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

just got the arms from gruvenparts

saved me $$$$ thanks for this thread !

JDM
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

What codes come on when the system is not working right ?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
What codes come on when the system is not working right ?
If the system is mechanically not working correctly (stuck or sluggish pivots), there are no codes...just a difference in engine torque progression up through the rpm range.

If you have a problem due to a vacuum leak in the system, you'll more likely get an SAI code, since it runs off the same vacuum circuit.

If there is an electrical problem with one of the solenoid valves that control vacuum to each of the pods, that should trigger a code...something like P1512.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

P.S. The easiest way to check system operation is:

Engine off, both pods inflated and pivots pulled all the way to stops under spring pressure.

Engine idling, both pods fully evacuated and both pivots pulled all the way to open stops.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Linkage Arms - Unbreakable Replacements