A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's ALIVE! I've created a 1997 Tiptronic Monster!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

Lets see, we need a dual-throw, momentary contact switch for shifting up/down, and a simple single-throw switch to enable/disable tip mode. The single-throw switch could use the open switch bay in the dash (if you haven't used it for a garage door opener yet) and use one of the stock Audi on/off switches. The tough one is the dual throw switch- where to put it. Either on the steering wheel or the shifter are the only places that it would be good. I had been thinking on this one for a while too- do you think we could rig up some paddle switches on the steering wheel that were battery operated RF devices? That way no wires would be required, and we would still have all four radio buttons operational on the wheel. I'll look into that one! Maybe we can come up with a kit for this mod once we get the kinks worked out!
Old 01-28-2003, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RF paddle switches, you are a genuis!

We can't use the buttons on the steering wheel unless we disconnect them from the radio brain box in the steering wheel (which converts them to a digital signal over one conductor and sends them to the radio) and then use a RF device to transmit their signal to the receiver.

We just use the lower bigger buttons. Great idea, now if we can only find some kind of transmitter and receiver!

pw
Old 01-28-2003, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: RF paddle switches, you are a genuis!

If we use the lower radio buttons, then a small RF transmitter that can fit into the steering wheel is needed. There are many really small RF transmitter/receiver sets available for RC car applications, that aren't very expensive. I'll look for a really small 2 channel transmitter/receiver pair that could be used in this application. Most of them run on dc current- is there a source of 12Vdc in the steering wheel? If so, we would be in like Flynn!!! The receiver could go in the weather box that houses the TCU, so NO wires would be required!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default why not just by a tip steering wheel

Under the tech articles, they have how to mod a tip wheel to a not tip wheel car with part numbers and everything.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That IS amazing. Pretty funny imagining you driving with a bunch of little wires lying next to you!
Old 01-28-2003, 10:25 AM

Default trying to keep to cost down... those SW are not cheap...

may as well get a 98 by then...
Old 01-28-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: It's ALIVE! I've created a 1997 Tiptronic Monster!

Pretty damn amazing..., the ding dong shifter mod
I can't help but wonder if all, or most of the fixings for a tiptronic are already there under the shift gate housing?
and How much was the tiptronic option?
Cheers'
Bill m
00 A8
95 s6 avant
Old 01-28-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: trying to keep to cost down... those SW are not cheap...

the stering wheel is only $350 acording to the post.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Send me a link to some small RC RF transmitters/receivers

Can't really get it in my head what it would be.

Yes, there is 12 VDC and ground right in the steering wheel. Can come right off those switches too, just cut them out of the circuit.

If we can get them in the steering wheel, I could defintely create a very simple circuit to use a transitor to switch the tip in the electronics box. Just make a simple little board with the components.

I want to see what it looks like and how they work. Will be A LOT CHEAPER than a new steering wheel and will still get to keep the radio control buttons which I love.

pw
Old 01-28-2003, 03:33 PM

Default How about a momentary (center off) SPDT?

Flick it up/forward to upshift down/back to downshift. Newark Electronics probably only has 100 different styles of that type from lever to rocker.

Maybe a press-press release type SPST button switch to put into TIP. Maybe even an illuminated-ON one. Again see Newark.

Put them in the cup holder?

Quick Reply: It's ALIVE! I've created a 1997 Tiptronic Monster!