A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Source/color code

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key Source/color code

Where's the best place to get additional keys for my new-to-me 02 S8? Seller had only one.

Does the sticker in the spare tire well include a color code? Which number? This is a dark, almost black, car with a "hint" of reddish brown when the sun hits it just right. My wife's calling it black cherry for now, but we come from Michigan's cherry country so others might not understand that terminology.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Key Source/color code

For the key you have to go to the dealer. Be prepared for an appointment because they have to connect the car to the audi computer to "marry" the new key to the car. The color code will not give you the name of the color. Check your title or registration for that.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So the keys available on Ebay won't do the job?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, probably not. Check with Carson Heter at Riverside Audi. He gave me an excellent price on a new key for my '02 S8. You will have to fax or somehow send him an image of your title and insurance card/registration so that he can verify that you do, indeed, own the car.

Once you have the key from him, as diogeniS8 said, you will have to take both keys to a dealer so they can "marry" them.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah whatever Olu, since you have been married and b4...silencio :-) Ring up bro!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Paint color codes---->

I posted a link on the FAQ section for this forum. This <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/edit.phtml?mid=166622&page=/a8/msgs/166622.phtml">link</a> transports you to the code location on the sticker in the spare tire well. There is another link in that post that will transport you to the list of paint color names corresponding to the codes.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Yeah whatever....

Umm, not really. Lots going on, and there are still only 24 hours in a day (I thinks). Not as much time to post, either here or the other forums I regularly visit. Will give a ring, but in any event, the response I posted is an abridged but very accurate rep of what will happen. It's pretty much what I went through.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Kneale, first off, congrats on the purchase! You won't regret it! (LONG)

As for the keys, they are ordered in two pieces. One is the remote and two is the key portion. So, if you want one COMPLETE key, you will need to order two parts. The remote is easy, order part number 4D0-837-231-P-01C and you will get the correct 3 button remote. Genuineaudiparts.com wants $56.35 for one.

The "key" portion is a little more difficult, but only a little......a lot of dealers stock the "blank" and have the correct "sidewinder" cutter to make a duplicate. They will charge you for the blank and then they MIGHT charge you a "fee" for cutting it.

The other option is to order it by VIN number. You will need to order 4D0-837-246-B-INB and then they will ask you for the VIN. The order will go back to Audi/VW and they will cut it according to the original cut specs on the key from the factory. Genuineaudiparts.com wants $48.30 for this portion of the key and expect it to take 2-3 weeks to get it.

NOW you will have to have both the remote programmed and the transponder programmed. The remote is easy to do and the directions for doing it on are Paul's Audipages. The transponder is a little different though. This requires a LIVE internet connection between the dealer/your car and AoA. You DO NOT have the capability of doing it yourself! When we bought our '02, I got a new key for it and got quoted everything from $75 to $120 for this "service". I even have a very good friend that is a service advisor at a VW dealership and he said that it HAS to be done at an Audi dealership. I finally found a service advisor that said he'd "take care of me" and he had it done for free. They had my car in the shop for all of 7 minutes!!!

As for the eBay keys......what I have been told locally is that almost all dealers are refusing to cut key blanks that are being brought in from an outside source, UNLESS you can show proof that it is a genuine part and you bought it from a dealer. Again my friend at the VW dealer claims that the "Cheap" eBay keys are a different alloy of some sort that is harder than the OEM key (which is some sort of plated brass alloy). So, when the dealer cuts them on their machine, they are almost guaranteed a broken bit. So, they just stopped cutting keys that are brought in and I am hearing that from more than one source now.

Onto your question about colors and codes. Yes, there is a paint color code on that trunk sticker. "ricoblanco" pointed out in his post where to find it on that sticker. There should also be a duplicate of that sticker in the back of the warranty manual if you have one.

"ricoblanco" also pointed you in a direction of what color codes correspond to what colors. However, that list seems pretty B5 specific and while some colors carry over to the D2, most do not. So, the list below are the colors and the corresponding code that were available for 2002 D2's(DISCLAIMER: I am 99.9% sure that these are correct, but please verify with dealer or body shop if you need touch up paint or ???):

Irish Green Pearl = LZ6G
Alpaka Beige = LY1W
Burgundy Pearl = LZ3K
Canvas Beige = LY1X
Brilliant Black = LY9B
Ming Blue Pearl = LZ5L
Light Silver = LY7W
Ebony Pearl = LZ9W
Espresso Brown = Unknown
Pearl White = L0B9

HTH!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hey, Ricoblanco:

Thanks for the efforts, but your link here and in the FAQ digest both lead me to a one-line announcement that says: "This message does not belong to you".
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just funnin' Olu. You move yet or still in the immediate area?

Quick Reply: Key Source/color code