A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '02 S8 owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '02 S8 owner with a few questions

Hey folks!
I recently bought a new (to me, anyway) 2002 S8.

It has its share of issues that I'm looking to address, but figured I'd knock the easy stuff out first, i.e. oil change, air filter swap, etc.

I replaced the air filter with ease, but for the life of me I can't find where the cabin filters are on this thing. I looked online and everywhere has infographics for the A8 or A4, indicating they're under the hood on the left and right side of the car closest to the dash. But when I remove the plastic housing over that section, there's nothing remotely filter related there. No tray to pull out, no existing filter there, nothing.

Tried the center console too, and no dice. Am I missing something? The owner's manual has nothing so I'm kind of stuck. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Also, the car has a laundry list of things it needs done to it. I wanted to list them here and get input on how much of this can be done with time, patience, and a basic ratchet set. I have very little experience with automotive work, but I'd like to save money on repairs where I can. Here's the list:
Needs new front brakes
Left front ride level sensor and linkage is broken
Front lower control arms have torn bushings
All upper control bushings torn
Both lower motor mounts have 0 hydraulic damping fluid
Left front frame mount leaking oil
Serpentine belt wearing out

If anyone thinks any old idiot could do any of the above repairs, I'd love to know!

Thanks so much for tolerating my ignorance guys, hopefully I wasn't too long winded.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The cabin filters are mounted on the hood itself where they are easy to vacuum off from time to time.

Check out audipages.com for some repair procedures including front end work.

Welcome!
-Joel.