A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infinity2017
Hi Everybody, newbie from Colorado. Today I just bought a 2001 S8 to resurrect. It's beat pretty much into the ground but I wanted to save it. I'm not even an Audi guy but noticed that someone on this forum said that 538 were imported into the USA that year, and fast forward sixteen years probably leaves hardly any out there anymore. The owner was getting ready to strip the aftermarket wheels off and sell it to the junkyard so I bought it. Here are some pictures. I'm going to put it back together and make it awesome again and then cannonball run it across the country to my garage in New York and put it with my car collection. Last spring I did the same thing with a smashed super rare 2002 Designo Mercedes big body that I bought out of a junkyard and it was alot of fun. Now the Designo is safe and sound under a cover in my garage in New York.

I did have some questions about this car if anyone can answer them:
1) It turns over but doesn't start, the seller said the front cam position sensor was bad, might this be true? I haven't started working on it yet but have also researched that it could be because of a bad fuel pump, no gas, bad coolant sensor or bad crank position sensor. The car has 203k miles on it and was babied until a teenager got his paws on it in 2012 and just destroyed it. Then it sat from 2013 to now.
2) The rear window slides down by itself, is this easy to fix?
3) Is the computer system OBD2? Can i attain the error codes using a basic OBD2 scanner (the same one I used for the Mercedes)? Does the dashboard show the error codes?
4) Does anyone have a complete black front bumper for sale? I already bought all the other parts, now looking for a bumper.
5) I'm replacing the dash cluster, does the new one need to be programmed or does it just plug in?

Thanks!!
I'm a newbie with my A8 as well. However, the best investment I made so far was to get a VAG-CAM reader and software from Ross-Tech. This is the only way to truly "see" everything the car's multiple computers and associated sensors can tell you. Also, get a copy of the shop manual. When you have both, you can do just about anything. This will save you so much time trying to "guess" what is really going on. OBD-II scanners are NOT enough with this car. I am not sure if you can re-learn a new instrument cluster with VAG-CAM, but it might be possible.

After you get it running, I'd love to see you bring it up to New England! I believe in the spirit of finding projects and bringing them back to life. Looks like a great car. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the encouragement. By the way, how muci is the vag cam? Does it plug into the OBD plug?

I was looking at the back of the instrument cluster today and it looks like it just plugs in with four connectors. Maybe the odometer and other information it displays comes from elsewhere in the cars' computer system.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. By the way, how muci is the vag cam? Does it plug into the OBD plug?

I was looking at the back of the instrument cluster today and it looks like it just plugs in with four connectors. Maybe the odometer and other information it displays comes from elsewhere in the cars' computer system.
Here is the link for the connector and hardware from Ross-Tech: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

Yes, it plugs into the OBD-II port. Be careful with it. There are some settings you can change that can screw up your car. Read the directions carefully. The shop manual will walk you through diagnostic procedures too.
I believe the odometer info is stored in the cluster. The VAG software should allow you to reprogram it with the new cluster.
One more thing...since your "diamond in the rough" has 203K on the clock and probibly no maintenance history, after you get the motor running, shut it off and change the timing belt. These are interference engines.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

UPDATE: The car got delivered last night, so I took today to clean it out and inventory all the parts I need. The car is almost complete, just needed the front bumper and some miscellaneous parts. Luckily I found two other A8's in the local junkyard and got all the pieces I'd needed in one stop for a total of $106! These two other cars were in beautiful condition, alot better than mine. I felt bad taking parts off of them. Here are some pictures of them (sorry, my phone takes really bad pictures but you get the idea). They both had rear/side sun shades, ski bag, navigation, and rear adjustable heat (mine has none of those)....
Attached Thumbnails Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171011_163138.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171011_162951.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171011_163025.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171011_164151.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171011_164204.jpg  

Last edited by infinity2017; 10-14-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here are the "during" pictures of my car, I cleaned it up some.. I bought a new battery for it, and it turns over and spits and sputters but doesn't start. I'm going over the non-start issue tomorrow; will check for gas, spark, cam sensors, crankshaft position sensor, coolant sensor, relays, and fuel pumps.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171014_172757.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171014_170332.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171014_170347.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171014_170421.jpg   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!-img_20171014_170447.jpg  

Old 10-14-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So did you get any codes? No codes would strongly suggest the fuel system, especially the pump.
If you don't see a Check Engine Light before starting, your ECU is offline. It is in the black plastic box in the cowl underhood passenger's side.This area likes to accumulate water.
If your instrument cluster has a little key icon illuminated or flashing, then the cluster is NOT paired to the ECU or the key. I code my own using VAG COM and a Cheapo Chinese gizmo for $80 that reads the security Pin you are not supposed to be able to read. Naughty.
Standard OBD2 scanners can have a tough time with the D2 chassis. A good one... like $20, will read it. a bad one, like $20, won't. Get one that claims to be comprehensive and compatible with every OBD2 flavor out there.
Coils blow. Red top coils, cheaper and better, plug right in, but stand a little tall.

Post up some data, and we can get you sorted.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Cool, did you have it shipped all the way to New York or are you fixing it in CO?
Old 10-15-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

BrianC72GT, I have a nice OBDII code computer somewhere around the house but can't find it. In the meantime, I'm going to throw spaghetti at the wall and replace almost everything related to the fuel system and spark (fuel pump, fuel filter, crank position sensor, camshaft position sensor, fuel pump relay, fuel pump fuse(s), add gas, etc.) After all, like someone said earlier, with over 200k miles on it, everything will break down eventually, might as well replace it all now. Also, the complete fuel pump was only $20 at the junkyard, and I've priced all the other parts listed and they're not expensive at all.

Jfrahm, I bought it an hour from where I live in Colorado and had it flat-bedded to my house in Colorado. I'm planning on having it done before Thanksgiving and set the cruise control to 170 mph (after all, the speedometer goes up to 190 mph, haha) and drive across the country very fast to New York for Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BrianC72GT, I have a nice OBDII code computer somewhere around the house but can't find it. In the meantime, I'm going to throw spaghetti at the wall and replace almost everything related to the fuel system and spark (fuel pump, fuel filter, crank position sensor, camshaft position sensor, fuel pump relay, fuel pump fuse(s), add gas, etc.) After all, like someone said earlier, with over 200k miles on it, everything will break down eventually, might as well replace it all now. Also, the complete fuel pump was only $20 at the junkyard, and I've priced all the other parts listed and they're not expensive at all.

Jfrahm, I bought it an hour from where I live in Colorado and had it flat-bedded to my house in Colorado. I'm planning on having it done before Thanksgiving and set the cruise control to 170 mph (after all, the speedometer goes up to 190 mph, haha) and drive across the country very fast to New York for Thanksgiving dinner.
I think you'd like to get it running at first just to see if the tranny is junk. With ignition in RUN position, remove passengers front carpet, mdf cover to relay box...3 or 4 screws..., loosen relay bar and slide out relay tray. Pop plastic cover off of FP relay cover to force points closed with a piece of rubber hose,, matchbook cover, whatever. FP should run continuously at that point. If not check to see if you have battery voltage at the wiring to the pump. Four wires, 2 for fuel gauge sender, 2 for pump You should measure constant battery voltage on one of them togled with the relay pinned/ignition in RUN. If so, then pump. If not, look upstream.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
Cheapo Chinese gizmo for $80 that reads the security Pin you are not supposed to be able to read. Naughty.

Can you link to this Chinese device? I bought one which claimed to read the code and it gave me 1 digit. I had to go to the dealer as a result to get the transponder coded (added 2 keys)...It was about the same price as the gadget, actually....
What year is your car? that may have something to do with it.

Quick Reply: Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!