A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah it kinda looks like negative money, if I needed parts I'd be interested but I do not need anything and do not want to part it out myself. It's just not nice enough to fix up and lacks some the high value parts (engine, sport seats). I'm surprised the guys off I-70 and Peoria don't want it, they'd probably pay something for it. Audi auto parts, Volkswagen auto parts, BMW auto parts, Mercedes auto parts, European auto parts at discounted rate
Old 12-30-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pity you've given up on her.
I think these cars are worth saving.
But I suppose the value is not there is the US.

They still have some value here and in Europe, and they have a loyal following in Europe too!
Finding parts and getting them at reasonable prices is a matter of thinking outside the box and in some cases well outside your backyard!

I wonder if any of those NOS S6 engines are still around anywhere? They're almost identical to the S8 engine.
An A8 block can be "S8'd" by changing the Cams and inlet manifold (and MAF). Comp ratio is the same.

Originally Posted by JAA 4.2
Be aware, I don't think you can swap S8 cams into A8 heads. I remember reading a long time ago that the heads have extra machining to allow them to accept the higher lift S8 cams.
Part numbers are the same. Just the Cams are different.
I investigated this a few months back as I need a head for my project!

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 12-30-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by infinity2017
Pushbutton Auto was right, I can't even give this car away. It seems that Audi people would just assume buy a new Audi than to buy a project Audi. It goes to the crusher this week
This makes me Sad for both you and the car. Hopefully next time.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Pity you've given up on her.
I think these cars are worth saving.
But I suppose the value is not there is the US.

They still have some value here and in Europe, and they have a loyal following in Europe too!
Finding parts and getting them at reasonable prices is a matter of thinking outside the box and in some cases well outside your backyard !
Used Audis are real cheap here (NZ), ever since I discovered my first Audi cost 90,000 (new) and I scored it for $ 300, with all the luxury and a good auto its been sweet az !

Last edited by Pushbutton_auto; 01-08-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cam position sensor shouldn't stop it from running

Originally Posted by infinity2017
the guy I bought it from was adamant about the fact that it only needed a cam position sensor to run.
As far as I know (from the forums), bad cam position sensors won't stop a D2 car from running, as the ECU simply fires the plugs twice as often if the sensor shows bad. The crank position sensor of course is a different story, since without it, the ECU doesn't know where top dead center is.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pushbutton_auto
My current Audi, the S8, cost 6,000 (about 5,400 Aus, 4,200 US ) and its a beast ....
Wow!
I paid AU$16,000 (and in need of a few $$ spending) for mine 4 years ago!
When they come up for sale here (very rarely) they tend to ask high teens for them moneywise (though I dont think they fetch it!).
At AU$5400, its nearly worth importing one!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
At AU$5400, its nearly worth importing one!
I think the same (Oz-NZ) every time I see an immaculate AP5 Valiant pushbutton automatic for sale in the OZ classifieds ....
Old 01-04-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hillpc
As far as I know (from the forums), bad cam position sensors won't stop a D2 car from running, as the ECU simply fires the plugs twice as often if the sensor shows bad. The crank position sensor of course is a different story, since without it, the ECU doesn't know where top dead center is.
They will absolutely run with a bad CPS. I have had one fail separately on each bank and the car ran. It's just down on power as it doesn't do any variable cam timing on that bank.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm new to Audi and this forum and just read this entire post. I feel like I just watched Toy Story 3 again. I was pulling for Infinity2017 to get it on the road! Geeze, pass the tissues...
Old 03-29-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well if you don't ever get that thing going, Ill take a few parts off of it for mine.Unreal trying to find certain body parts for these. I wish I had a connection over in Germany, where there are plenty of these still

Quick Reply: Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!