A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive feed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive feed...

Hi
I need to have an extra positive feed to the Headlights (Xenon mod.). Were can i take the feed ? Is there a "feedthru" hole in the wall between motor and interior, anyone have any pictures ? I dont want to fit a cable all the way from the batteri to the front. Can i take feed from one of the connection points in the relay box at the floor on passengerside ? Hope you guys know what i meen.
Please excuse my bad english.
Br
Peter
Sweden.
A8 4,2Q -97
Old 10-23-2004, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yep, relay box floor passenger side. There is a 12V rail there
Old 10-23-2004, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Yep

And if you want to see how to get the wires through to the engine compartment, click the link below, it shows how to get them from the ECU box to the relay box in the car.

But why wouldn't you use the power that is already at the headlights?<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/97tiptronicupgrade.html">Shows how to run wire</a></li></ul>
Old 10-23-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Yep

Hi
Tried that, but some of the lamps on the "Ac" unit is flashing when starting up the lights. So i was thinking that iīd better do it the right way. Also when using the original wiring the left lamp is sometimes ~0,5 sec slower when turning om the lights. Looked att the earth positions and found out that the wire on the right side is mutch longer than the one one left (driver) side. Considering that the wires aint that thick this might be a problem area. Donīt know if this really would effect the "performance" on the ballast unit but this combimned with the flashinglamps dosenīt "feel" right. Knowing that these unit need alot of power when lightning the gas inside the lamp. So after spending most of the day in the garage only thing left tomorow would be to just fit the ballast on the riht side and take it for a test drive in the cold cold swedish october night....and ofcourse spending rest of the day cleaning out the garage. Will let you guys know tomorrow how it turned out.

Br
Peter
Sweden
Old 10-23-2004, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Post pictures if you can

I think we can help you a lot more if you take a few pictures.

The length of the wire should not effect the time it takes to turn it on.

Good luck!

What year and options do you have? We always love the Euro version sport models!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Post pictures if you can

HI again.
Sorry donīt have any digital camera. Geting a bit frustrated about this.
It dosenīt work !! Did fit two 6mm2 wires from the connection point. One to each side. Added a relay for each lamp on the wires. Left side is working just fine. Right side dosenīt light upp as i want it to. Same problem with delayed lightning and flashing lights on the Ac unit. So i figuerd that there might be something wrong with the ballast, Switched them from right to left side. Still same problem on the right side !!!
Meaning that itīs has to be a problem combined with the original wires ? Got me thinking that there might be a earth problem, added a extra 6mm2 wire to ground. But still the same problem.
Also one of the relays in the electricalbox on the passager floor side is "flipping" when the light dosnīt come on. I think itīs relay no. 3(top row) "relay for fresh air fan (J13)" Why is this one beeing effected ? The lights on the Ac unit still flashes even if the relay dosenīt (flip).
At this time a could actually se my hair turning grey. Man iīm only 34 y/o..... Could there be that some part of the Ac unit is using the same earth point as the light on the right side ? And beeing disturbed by the high current just in the ignition point ? Why is it working so fine on the left side regardless of the two ballast that i use ?
Hope that you are able to read my english.
BR
Peter
Sweden