A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real License Plate tub removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real License Plate tub removal

I'm installing a backup camera and need to remove the entire back license plate holder / US version but can't figure out how to get it off. (These d2 are built like tanks - pity the tranny isn't)

I have take off the reverse light screws but still she no budge.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThaboTheWuff
I'm installing a backup camera and need to remove the entire back license plate holder / US version but can't figure out how to get it off. (These d2 are built like tanks - pity the tranny isn't)

I have take off the reverse light screws but still she no budge.
I routed a cable for my rear laser diffuser and did not remove the tub...i went in at the license plate light and could snag it from inside the trunk (had to remove the trunk lining)...then followed the brake light cable and down thru the grommet that went into trunk. It was tedious but turned out nice in the end. I imagine your cable lead coudln't be much bigger than the phone cord tip that I routed, but perhaps it is and that's why you want to remove license plate surroud???
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I figured it out: there are four screws that you need to remove after you've removed the rear trunk trim cover. I hadn't removed the cover fully as I couldn't figure out how to but after removing the 12 odd screws I got a better look.

God damn car is so well put together in, I remember some old rat traps I used to own, just pull at a panel and it comes off. The wire for the backup camera is pretty thin and I may have to use the license plate light method as I'll have to drill a little hole through metal otherwise to get it into the trunk.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, removing the carpeted trunk liner screws was the key to reaching in and grabbing the wire. I used a dremel to round out the corner of the plastic license plate light housing so that the wire could go thru and the housing would still sit flush when reinstalled. I refuse to drill a hole (in metal) anywhere on my car, but a grommeted teeny tiny hole that's not visible is probably a good solution.