A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road trip

Well, Just back from "The West". My daughter is attending university in Bozeman Mt, and there are relations to see in the Dakotas, so we drove out. Anyone want to see some corn???

Out and back , 5194 total miles.
Average speed out 58 mph ( we took the scenic routes in places.
Combined average speed 62mph, (I hurried along on the return cruise control set at 70 though I still managed some secondary road travel)

Total drive time on the return was right around 36 hours.

Best consumption: Gillet, WY to Rock Rapids (Eastern) Iowa.
544.2 miles on 19.29 galons of 91 octane.. That's 28.21 mpg, to do the math.

Average consumption for the entire trip was 26.68 mpg.

oil consumption, nil (though the service reminder says the oil change is due ;-)

Troubles? ding in the windshield from on coming traffic on Iowa secondary roads. Crap! it's small though.

Passenger window regulator jambed mid position in South Dakota as my daughter rolled down the glass to snap a sunset photo.Wind noise anyone? A "dormside" Removal in Bozeman revealed a frayed cable that jumped the pullys, jambing up the works. I sure am glad I put a few tools in the boot at the last moment. The door is a great design, easily serviced and eveything was put back again tight and quiet. (anyone with a "spare"?) I did get a few comments from the students as the door was all apart on the lawn ;-) Jeesh!

Oh! the BUG SPLAT, Evening driving brings the yellow smear, and with just a wee bit of rain on the way back through Albany NY to wash things off, there is much clean up left.

These Eights are great road cars! I am still weary from the driving, but ...... I could be worse, I almost took the Isuzu! What was I thinking????

An oil change and a good vacuum job, and the car will look like it never left the drive.

To those in Chi Town, sorry, there was no chance for pleasantry, I couldn't get far enough away from that traffic. We did stop in Barrington and had lunch with my nephew.

All the best

Cal
Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to make bug splatter easy to clean up..

Sounds like a good trip. Am shocked at 28mpg. Anyway as for easy bug cleanup, before you set out on the road spray some wd40 on front bumper and front portion of the hood and once you get where your going you just hose it off and everthing, bugs included comes right off with no effort.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: to make bug splatter easy to clean up..

I bet a spray of WD-40 AFTER the splat would help too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cal
Old 08-30-2008, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live 1/4 mile from Barrington road and I 90.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We have Friends that live out of Bozeman, my wife and I were there in July... Beautiful place!

Loved the road trip, but we took our Hybrid Escape since we also took a lot of stuff and our bikes... I even said, "I could live here" when we stopped at Costco in Bozeman to fill up.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Default Re: I live 1/4 mile from Barrington road and I 90.

Gabor

Now I could really kick myself!

Of course I passed that intersection on the return, and did a few "turn arounds" looking for the on ramp as we went out. We must have passed quite closely. If only...

I am sure we could have bored my daughter for hours while sharing "Audi Speak"

What can I say? Next time!

Now if you find your way to Vermont......

regards

Cal