A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same old problem with TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same old problem with TC

I recently bought a '98 but didn't read the threads before I bought it. It had low miles and was a one owner but then I found the usual problems, leaks and "hunting" in the TC. The leaks were a cheap fix but the dealer said that the problem with the TC was to replace it. Your forum has been invaluable in helping me understand what I'm up against. The dealer said that they replace about 10 per year. Not a good sign. Maybe I'm taking the cheap way out but I think that maybe an quick analysis of the fluid and then a bottle of Lubeguard may be the best option. Any other ideas?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Calling Tozo!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dealer that replaces torque converters (not valve bodies) finds that actually fixes the hunting?

Something's inconsistent, because on the forum we've had rebuilt torque converters with old valve bodies not solve the problem, but newer/fresher or comprehensively rebuilt (i.e. by Tozo) valve bodies solve the problem even in combination with an existing torque converter.

So if the dealer's having success, is it because (1) changing all the fluid makes hunting go away for a while, (2) ZF is supplying replacement torque converters with a more "forgiving" clutch material that works better with a worn valve body and pre-facelift software, or (3) something else?

I'm wondering how it could be that for this dealer, ten out of ten times a year, changing the torque converter fixes hunting. Or does it really?

Tom
Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The dealer that replaces torque converters (not valve bodies) finds that actually fixes the hunt

The dealer explained that the problem was with the lockup which is an internal valve and seal which is not replaceable. His description of the valve body was that is was in the transmission and not part of the lockup sequence.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Default How bad is your hunting? I also have a '98. It's been hunting for over

three years, but it's tolerable, and you can "drive around" the problem. One way is to drive in "4" instead of "D". This keeps the RPM's higher and thereby minimizes the hunting, which happens at low RPM's. It also saves the transmission by reducing the number of shifts. Credit for this goes to Randy. I've been doing it for two years now, and (touch wood) my hunting has stayed stable.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: How bad is your hunting? I also have a '98. It's been hunting for over

It's most noticeable at about 2000RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear and when it comes out of lockup under deceleration. My plan comes from the threads and Audipages where they say that the fluid can be compromised and the filter should be replaced to just a quick fix of a bottle of Lubeguard. Driving around in Triptronic works but having the transmission work is the ideal. Paying 4K for a new transmission is not what I had in mind.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How bad is your hunting? I also have a '98. It's been hunting for over

If the symptom is present in 2nd gear, It is not the torque converter clutch problem experienced by many.

TCC control mode and lock mode are not active in the first two gears. O neither should there be any "slippage at RPMs much above 2200.

The Ross Tech, VAG-COM software connected during a drive cycle will show this out. You could get a better picture of what is happening that way.

IF there is slippage in second, there is (also) a problem with the shift solenoids/fluid flow other than N218 TCC control.

The "Torque converter " always slips
The lock up clutch is designed to defeat that design function in order to enhance fuel economy.

"Hunting" is a preception problem. That annoying change in engine load/RPM is realy not a "defect". Ask any Audi dealer!

Actually "hunting" is uncontroled slippage of the TCC when it is supposed to be in a controlled slippage mode.

This loss of control "could be" associated with many systems. ECM, TCM, even the ABS.

If only .........

Knowledge is the most valuable thing.

CalG