A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something is burning.............

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is burning.............

I have a strong, kind of burning plastic smell coming from the right front arch as soon as the car warms up, and gets worst as i drive a bit. Do not see any plastic bags or anything stuck under. It has been non stop for the last 5 days. For some reason I have a feeling it is some how related to the transmission. Any thoughts will help thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Something is burning.............

Check the differential seal. If there's a leak, it'll drip onto the cats and produce that pungent stink and (occasionally) smoke. More info at Audipage.com here:<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/transealreplacement.html">http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/transealreplacement.html</a</li></ul>
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Thanks will look in to that, Also dont know if its related but.....

My throttle response is becoming delayed sometimes and the trany sounds louder then it used to be.. I think all this started happening after I revved to 7200 rpm on ice, and had a similar plastic smell for a moment and now its back and does not go away.. ( Thoughts are appreciated thanks....
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Default I remember your initial post quite a while back...

IIRC, there were a few other problems as a result of your 7200 RPM wheelspin. I thought you mentioned you hit something, like a curb. Have you had these issues corrected?

Did the smell go away itself and then re-appear?

If so, not to be rude, but it really sounded like it needed to be taken into a good mechanic after the problem first appeared. Especially since I remember it sounded pretty serious. If you want to be told it's nothing important, i'm sure plenty of people here can tell you just that, but it sounded urgent ;-).

Of course, if you took it in to begin with then please ignore the above. If so, my vote is to return to the shop that did the work. You don't want a small problem to become a large one.

Best of luck !