A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to Source Electric Fan Small Plastic Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trying to Source Electric Fan Small Plastic Fasteners

My tech and I removed a bad electric fan from the radiator support beam on my 1999 Audi A8 Quattro. The fan was held in place by a plastic expansion rivet, the kinds whose center core we whacked out with a hammer and tiny chisel so that the rivet is no longer expanded.

The fan wiring was held in place by a set of ZIP ties that attach to the radiator support beam in a special way, so they are more complex than normal ZIP ties. I'd like to buy some of these rivets and ZIP ties (not least, so that I can put my car together again properly), but I can't find them on any Audi parts diagram or when I do Web searches.

Also, several normal ZIP ties (some small, one large) are used in the driver side front quadrant of this car, and I snipped them as part of moving the radiator support beam. I'd like to buy these too, ideally the right Audi ones.

Any help as to a source, or part numbers, would be highly appreciated, please. For working inside the transmission, ZF sells an assortment of several little parts and pieces. Is there something similar for Audi engine compartment work, essentially bags of misc. little hardware pieces like this? That would be cool.

Thank you!

~Tanya
Old 12-23-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tanya_charbury
My tech and I removed a bad electric fan from the radiator support beam on my 1999 Audi A8 Quattro. The fan was held in place by a plastic expansion rivet, the kinds whose center core we whacked out with a hammer and tiny chisel so that the rivet is no longer expanded.

The fan wiring was held in place by a set of ZIP ties that attach to the radiator support beam in a special way, so they are more complex than normal ZIP ties. I'd like to buy some of these rivets and ZIP ties (not least, so that I can put my car together again properly), but I can't find them on any Audi parts diagram or when I do Web searches.

Also, several normal ZIP ties (some small, one large) are used in the driver side front quadrant of this car, and I snipped them as part of moving the radiator support beam. I'd like to buy these too, ideally the right Audi ones.

Any help as to a source, or part numbers, would be highly appreciated, please. For working inside the transmission, ZF sells an assortment of several little parts and pieces. Is there something similar for Audi engine compartment work, essentially bags of misc. little hardware pieces like this? That would be cool.

Thank you!

~Tanya

I had the same problem, failed electric fan on my '99 A8. The dealer parts department sold me the rivet, part number N0385012 and it is a perfect fit. Hopefully they are still available. I was able to save most of the fancy Audi zip ties, so I'm no help there.

Dan
Old 12-23-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan,

You're a rock star. THANK YOU!!!! :-) I appreciate it very much!!

~Tanya