A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gasket Leaks - What All to Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Cover Gasket Leaks - What All to Replace?

So I was replacing spark plugs this morning and noticed just a slight bit of oil residue in some plug wells due to some oil seeping at a couple of the gaskets. I also noticed a slight leak at front corner of driver's side valve cover. I researched some replacements and came across this kit which seems to have a lot more stuff than I was hoping to tackle in an afternoon. What all do I really need to replace? It's not a matter of laziness, I just don't want to take apart anything that doesn't have to come apart.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21011-D

I was planning to do the perimeter and center gaskets as well as the rear camshaft cover ring gaskets. Anything else I should do while everything's apart?

Procedure I found...looks a bit different from my S8 but mostly the same:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng41.shtml

Any other decent write ups out there? I'm slowly learning this motor and consider myself at an intermediate skill level.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
So I was replacing spark plugs this morning and noticed just a slight bit of oil residue in some plug wells due to some oil seeping at a couple of the gaskets. I also noticed a slight leak at front corner of driver's side valve cover. I researched some replacements and came across this kit which seems to have a lot more stuff than I was hoping to tackle in an afternoon. What all do I really need to replace? It's not a matter of laziness, I just don't want to take apart anything that doesn't have to come apart.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21011-D

I was planning to do the perimeter and center gaskets as well as the rear camshaft cover ring gaskets. Anything else I should do while everything's apart?

Procedure I found...looks a bit different from my S8 but mostly the same:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng41.shtml

Any other decent write ups out there? I'm slowly learning this motor and consider myself at an intermediate skill level.
That AW write-up is for a 32V (PFL) engine, which is very much different.

The best write-up I've ever found and a tool I wouldn't consider doing my own tooling without is here >>>

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/D2_B...Manual/ES6279/
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverd2
That AW write-up is for a 32V (PFL) engine, which is very much different.

The best write-up I've ever found and a tool I wouldn't consider doing my own tooling without is here >>>

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/D2_B...Manual/ES6279/
Yes I have the manual and for the most part everything is up to snuff. I do a lot better reading other's experiences and advice. I was just tapping the knowledge of AW and it's expertise. There always seems to be an add on or improvement that Bentley makes no mention of...for obvious reasons. Case in point on the gaskets: using the brush on gasket sealer on the cover side. You guys really know your D2's and I have great respect for that.

When I replaced my oil cooler transfer pipe, the write ups with photos that I found here were above and beyond the manual and its diagrams that didn't even label every part that needed to be replaced.

My concern was about what else to replace while I'm in there if anything. That kit I referenced had a lot more in it than just valve cover gaskets. Bentley doesn't care what leaks after I replace the part that's next to it, know what I mean?

Best Regards,
-S8ilver
Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Yes I have the manual and for the most part everything is up to snuff. I do a lot better reading other's experiences and advice. I was just tapping the knowledge of AW and it's expertise. There always seems to be an add on or improvement that Bentley makes no mention of...for obvious reasons. Case in point on the gaskets: using the brush on gasket sealer on the cover side. You guys really know your D2's and I have great respect for that.

When I replaced my oil cooler transfer pipe, the write ups with photos that I found here were above and beyond the manual and its diagrams that didn't even label every part that needed to be replaced.

My concern was about what else to replace while I'm in there if anything. That kit I referenced had a lot more in it than just valve cover gaskets. Bentley doesn't care what leaks after I replace the part that's next to it, know what I mean?

Best Regards,
-S8ilver
Sorry, didn't intend to come across as a smartass...that just comes naturally

I've become accustomed to people who'll throw all kinds of money at their cars (parts, tools and mechanics), spend endless hours chasing the wrong problem and creating new problems...BUT they won't buy a manual!? I don't get that...it's the very first thing I buy for every car I own, before anything else. A manual will even save you $$$ if you take your car to the dealer or indy mechanic for everything...you'll know more and know when you're being fed a line of crap.

Anyway, yes the Bentley did let us down with an almost complete lack of info on the oil cooler...and you may have noticed that multiple procedures direct (require!) you to "put the lock carrier in service position" (pull the front end)...But NOWHERE in the Bentley does it tell you how(?) ...wow!

But with the valve cover gasket replacement, I found that it covers things pretty well.

The Blau kit does include lotsa stuff...it's what I bought...it's the best deal in the business for the money. But some of the items included aren't really needed unless you have leaks there or are performing other procedures, that involve a lot more labor and special tools...like cam adjuster gaskets or cam end seals and plugs.

Myself? ...I only change gaskets that are leaking or ones involved in specific disassembly..like when I replaced a cam adjuster recently...an involved procedure, including removing at least the intake cam. The book says to remove both cams and timing belt, which is not truly necessary on the passenger's side ..the one I replaced....not sure on the driver's side...haven't had to tackle that one.

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 08-08-2012 at 06:07 PM.