A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water in ventalation system

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in ventalation system

Ok , this is a little wierd, yesterday i got in my car which ahd been sitting in a downpour for a couple of hours. When I drove away water came out of the floor heat/cool vents left turn passenger foot well right turn drivers well. Any Ideas how this could happen. I did not have the rest feature on. Does the air intake have a drain that might be plugged? where would it be located? dehumidifier seams to have taken care of the water this time.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your drain needs to be cleaned. A power wash or compressed air should work....

unless it is clogged in the hose itself then more aggressive action may be required, such as a flexible wire. Use gentle prodding and water.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Your drain needs to be cleaned. A power wash or compressed air should work....

where is the drain located?
Old 02-07-2002, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There was a post a few weeks ago on this topic with detailed instruction. Try a search.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:10 AM

Default different issue, read fix

I read that post and went that rrrout however, it was a different issue. I problem was external water getting in the car. Bottom line after a bunch of messing around I removed the engine plastic and searched around found two large (size of Kennedy half dollar) drains that had sealed some how. Issue apppears to be resolved.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good news
Old 02-11-2002, 12:46 PM
TQ

Default Re: water in ventalation system

I had a similir problem with my 98 A8. The passenger side floor carpets were wet any time I ran the AC.

The fix was to remove both the mat and the carpet, remove the screws that hold the carpet covered tunnel panel and locate a flutter valve made of what appears to be tan surgical grade rubber.

This valve has a 90 degree bend in it and attaches to the compressor drain, then feeds through the metal part of the transmission tunnel to the outside of the car. Once out, I found a small hole in the valve that was allowing the condensation to drain into the car. The local Audi dealer had the part in stock for about $30 US.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2002, 02:50 PM

Default Re: water in ventalation system

first off glad i'm not alone- as they say misery enjoys company.

In any case- the following is an account of the nightmare I've endured.

First off like most of the owners on this forum i don't have agarage to help remedy the situation- i live in the city. And to all those on the east coast you know how much the weather has sucked recently so mind you I had to do all drying in the pouring rain in the 40 degree boston weather

In any case- I have occasionally had some water leakage in the driver side footwell- when going oround sharp turns on rainy days-I didn'trealize the correlation until yesterday- I had previosuly assumed it was something to do with the AC.
Yesterday it downpoured here in Boston all day and previously that night- on my way to work i encountered some driver side footwell leakage- but noithing to cause any real alarm.
However as I went out to my car at 7 PM after a long day of work- I noticed a reflection coming from the driver side rear foot well- I assumed it was the solar glass playing tricks on me. Upon closer inspection I realized the car had about an inch of standing water- in both rear driver and passenger footwells- I assumed i left a window open - looked around- everything was closed

I frantically opened the drivers door- and the same thing in the front footwells- albeit a little less since the front rugmats have this spongy absorbant material- that soaked up the water.

I was just in awe
What the hell do I do
I knew I had to get this car covered and soak up the water

So i spent mostof last evening soaking up the water with an ABSORBER towels a blow dryer and ran the heat on high-it was fairly effective
I covered the car at night which seemed to stagnate the problem- but I'm still leaking all overmy shoeseverytimei corner from the residual water

To the person that had this issue before- where exactly was this drain that was sealed?

Any other suggestions-

DC
Old 08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Where are those drains again

I have the same problem. Are the clogged drains near the firewall somewhere?

Thanks.