A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise, redux - and '01 //S8 & '03 //S8 and lions and tigers and bears...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise, redux - and '01 //S8 & '03 //S8 and lions and tigers and bears...

...oh my!

I confirmed last night the "bbbbbbbbbb" is the flapping of the inside verticle rubber "wiper" that runs along the window frame by the B pillar.

I confirmed this by rolling window down and being able to flap the seal back and forth a bit.

HOWEVER, while tastetesting my '01 //S8 next to an '03 //S8, guess what? The '03s seal does the same. Difference is no noise in that one. Hence I'm hesitant to glue it as Mr. Overcharged kindly suggested, as it seems maybe it's that way for a reason?

Anyone have any WTF? for me? Chinese water torture would be better, really.

Sidenote... me likey that "Sport" mode that the '01s didn't get. Tho I troll around in Chictronic all the time any way so it would only be of use to me on the highway really, but it is a VERY nice program.

Paul W. / Tozo / et al... one would think this shift map could be Vag'd into the earlier cars possibly? Just curious.

Woulda been useful say last night when I was running an E39 ///M5 WOT. Fun stuff. Seemingly dead nuts even during those "particular" exercises, pretty neat.

Also, anyone ever weigh a PORKLY 18" Avus as compared to the Mercury Gran Marquis / Town car / Navigator 18" RS4 9 spokers? The '03 certainly has a sprightly spring in its step says the buttdyno. Gotta be lighter - I just have hard time not seeing Merculincoln, I do. Spacers would help.

Have I mentioned spacers on the Avus' look f'n MAC??? MWuhahahahaa...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 AM

Chictronic...LOL
Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 AM

Default LOL @Mercury Gran Marquis / Town car / Navigator 18" RS4 9 spokers

But they're not chromed!!! LOL Actually it's a classic wheel that Audi has put on many of their models over the past decade.

I don't think the S tranny mode can be VAG-COMed.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh, that wasn't a dig on them just more the unfortunate...

...first impression they give me. They look stunning and I like the way they're both polished and painted and have an iridescent twinkle to the polished part.

Guarantee you though, you won't look at them the same way the next time you see a Gran Marquis with "them" - their bloated body and "three box" shape they have just looks like an albeit bad but uncanny similarity.

And again, spacers would assuredly help the cause here.

Oh, forgot to mention - MAN oh MAN do I dig that Camel(toe) interior. Wasn't sure what I felt from seeing pictures. It's VERY nice, extremely Ferrariesque, and exudes supreme awesomeness. It matches the wood and black trim much better than the platinum does, which is a shame cause ming / platinum is an uber combo - just makes the wood look orange and contrast too much.

And the smell, oh the smell. This one and the last '03 around here (Mark's) smelled like the guy stored his money inside it then had sex on the money. So nice.

I'm hoping the Avus' burgundy will hold the same surprise factor, but have my unfortunate doubts. Again, not a dig! Just recounts bad '70s Volvo burgundy vinal or '80s Benz burgundy MB Tex. Just say no. Shame cause Avus is so *****.

Now... someone puhleeeze fix my infernal bbbbbbb flapper noise from h _ e _ double _ hockey _ sticks!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Wind noise, redux - and '01 //S8 & '03 //S8 and lions and tigers and bears...

Yeah I noticed that when trying to figure out the autodim mirror issues on the driver's side. Passenger side was the same. Wierd but so is Paul K and we accept him so...

Check your sunroof channel Paul. Recall I told you I had a rattle at speed and it turned out to be some twigs up there. Your onmonopoetic spelling of the sound you are getting make me thinks not stick but...Hey was Bob in the car? I'm just sayin'...

Stirrin' up some more shiite with wheel comments I see - sigh.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah I am weird. And? I can literally touch the seal and stop the bbbbbb, so...

... it's the seal and no phantom sticks in the roof or what not.

Bob is rather gassy, but no it's the seal fersure.

Wheels? ****e? Na, me, would I do that? Nevah!

_Town_Car_.

8-)

ps. Jim's '03 is faster than yours...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 AM

Default I've noticed the same thing about the wheels, but it doesn't make me like them any less.

I see many other details our cars share with lesser makes, but they just don't have the right DNA.

The black/caramel color combo is my favorite, especially after driving a ming blue/silver S8 last week. I thought I'd like the subtle blue exterior, but it's too purple for me. The silver interior was nice, with contrasting black headliner/dash, but I still like the caramel better. I have to say, I like my caramel/mocha interior even better than the '03 caramel/black interior, except for the seats, of course. I have yet to see the silver/burgundy combination, but I'm in no hurry to do so. 8^)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Everybody knows Ming Blue is the fastest color
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Immitation is of course the sincerest form of flattery!

I'm seeing many MANY Audi design cues in the latest offerings from BMW, MB, and Lexus.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I beg to differ. What about RACING Green Metallic?

There's also arrest-me red. But that's a Porsche/Corvette color...