A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** URGENT PROBLEM ** PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *** URGENT PROBLEM ** PLEASE READ

Most of you guys have seen me here regulerly in the D3 forum for the past two years. I have always presented myself as someone,like many of you, an owner and huge fan of the Audi A8. I have been a loyal owner for the past 2 years. However, something happend today that might change everything.

After Mothers day dinner, I decided to drive home in manual mode, which is something that I rarely do. Everything went fine until I wanted to downshift, then all hell broke loose, the REVS skyrocketed above all RPMS and the car shot up the road. This was in 3rd gear at a 35 MPH zone and the tech pegging over 6k RPM at over 50 to 60 MPH.

I was shocked at the quick event and panic. I slammed on the brakes but the engine was still stuck at high rev and the car was angryly moving forward. I managed to put all my weight on the brake and bring it to a stop before I hit the car infront of me. I changed the gears to the positions but it was still idleing like a madman. I managed to pull over and shut off the car. I started the car again and it did the same exact thing. The starting did have a strange burnt smell to it.

After calling a friend to picked me up, I tried again and everything was fine. I then cautiously drove to the nearest parking lot. That is where it is right now. I am still shaking up over this.

Therefore, tomorrow, I will call the dealer and have it towed to their place. This might be it for the A8. It is unexcuseable on what just happened for an 80k car and a car payment of nearly 1k per month. I am just bless that my two kids weren't in the car.

Folks, I will raise hell tomorrow and just trade the car in tomorrow. I can't drive a car that is unsafe and takes off on its own, regardless of what was wrong with it.

Thoughts? Am I over reacting to get rid of the car?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have factory floor mats?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *** URGENT PROBLEM ** PLEASE READ

Trade it in for what? A Mercedes Benz? A BMW? Similar horror stories about those two marques abound. There's not a high-tech-loaded automobile on the road today that might not suffer a momentary glitch such as the one you describe.

Believe me, I'm not an apologist for Audi; what happened to you was terrible, scary (unless an errant, non factory floor mat was the culprit). It's just that it's getting harder and harder to find the flawless top-of-the-line sedan with all its attendant electronic geegaws that will never once misbehave -- and in serious ways, too. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover... and even Toyota and Honda, it's the luck of the draw.

For what its worth, my A8 has been glitch-free for 40,000 miles...I'm thinking that if the same thing happened to me, I'd likely keep the car. Since you asked.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agreed - could be the floor mats

I had the same thing happen to me with non-factory floormats right after I purchased it. I was going up the road and the car started accelerating and the brake didn't help. I put the car in neutral. The engine rev'ed higher and I turned it off. Coasting along in neutral at over 70 mph with it off wasn't a pleasant feeling. I reached down and adjusted the floor mats - just in case. Started it again and and nothing happened that was unusual. Then a few days later it happened again. I got the car stopped and got out. I looked at the floor mats and sure enough they had somehow managed to get pushed into the accelerator. They weren't hooked in so they slid forward. I took them out and the car has been fine since. I have purchased the factory floor mats and haven't ever had the problem since then. That was 2 years ago.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quattro! It is more than likely the floormats. It also has happened to me when the mats were not

buttoned up. Luckily I was paying attention on a long straight road with no one around. If there is a flaw on these vehicles it is definitely the design of the mats. They are short and when loose it can and will get stuck on the accelerator. It definitely needs longer mats that will go behind the pedal and not over it.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Got lowjack or similar?

Mine did something similar while test driving on the highway. When you depress the accelerator into kickdown, it would stay there...
Dealer found that a previous tracking device installation interfered with the accelerator pedal. Complete removal of the tracking system fixed it...
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: *** URGENT PROBLEM ** PLEASE READ

As others have already said, floor mats have caused my pedal to stick once on me. I have always practiced and have burned in my head to turn the ignition off. I have an '04 which uses the old fashioned "key". For those with newer vehicles, practice pressing the engine stop button for a panic situation.

I know it happens so fast and with the adreniline rush, it is hard to remember. You literally have to practice it and always keep it in mind when the unexpected happens. I used to own a 5000CS Q (manual tranny) but that's why I rehearsed this 21 years ago. Thanks to ABC or CBS.

If you decide to replace the car, may I recommend a Buick Lucerne. A lot of car for the money. Plus, with the insurance savings alone, you can save enough for the W12 upgrade if you go back to an A8!
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is specifically why i think they should put in a floor attached pedal like BMW, MB, and Porsche
Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dito below: now using 2 huge strips of velcro under the stock mat. Space below bottom of pedal and

floor is, amazingly, just the right size for the tip of the mat to wedge and prevent the pedal from retracting back. Once again, don't let the $2 parts ruin the A8 for you.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have had same issue before.

It happened in my A8 a few months after I had it but I knew exactly what the problem was as it occurred in my infiniti Q45 before that. Now I just take the drivers floor mats out of all my cars. I will agree that it very scary thing to have happen and thank God no injury occurred.

Quick Reply: *** URGENT PROBLEM ** PLEASE READ