A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 A8L ABS and Parking Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 A8L ABS and Parking Brake Fault

Yesterday I was coming home from work and the ABS Fault came on the middle of the center console and then the parking brake fault came on. I pulled over into a parking lot and got the book out and did what it said (Basically restart the car). This seemed fine and I made it home. I also noticed that my fuel economy was terrible 8mpg but improved on the way home.

Today I went to drive the car and had the same ABS fault and Parking brake problem. I restarted the car and the errors came back. I took it home and parked it.

I was planning to take the A8 to Chicago tomorrow (550 miles) with the family but now I am reconsidering and thinking of taking a different car.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I plan on taking it to the dealer in a couple of weeks when I get back.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having the same issue now. Did you ever get it fixed? If so, what was the solution?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Parking Brake warning light

I've been strugling with the same issue. I have my stability esp light on, my abs light on, and everytime I start moving when a cross about 3 mph a warning 'parking brake' with a line through it is in the top display and a buzzer goes off. Now I know I could go to the dealer and they would replace 3 to 5 sensors for 1-2k but I'd like to know what is causing the problem in case I only need one sensor. I've searched the forums but no definative reply.

ps-no my parking brake isn't on
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's The Test!

Find a Quiet Place like your Garage and either you can do this or have someone assist you. Activate the Parking Brake and run back to each Rear Wheel. It may sound as if Both are Operating, but one could be Dead! If one is not working then that Brake Motor is Shot and needs replacing. When they go, you will get different warnings like Parking Brake, or ABS, or Brakes, or Buzzers, or Lights! If it is Bad then you'll either have to have the Dealership Repair or get the Part# and find it Online and Fix it yourself or have an Indy do it. It's not hard to do at all, but you will need a Vag.Com system which you more than likely have already since you own an Audi. Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 12-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Me too

Originally Posted by BongoCruiser
I've been strugling with the same issue. I have my stability esp light on, my abs light on, and everytime I start moving when a cross about 3 mph a warning 'parking brake' with a line through it is in the top display and a buzzer goes off. Now I know I could go to the dealer and they would replace 3 to 5 sensors for 1-2k but I'd like to know what is causing the problem in case I only need one sensor. I've searched the forums but no definative reply.

ps-no my parking brake isn't on

Did you ever get this problem fixed... I'm having the same issue
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Brake/ABS Problem

There are hall effect sensors in the rear brake assemblies. One of them may have gone bad. Also how are the rear pads? have you ever had them replaced? If so was it at Audi or an independant shop. Also Do you have vag com?

Let me know I will try to help
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default esp/abs/parking

All this looks like a bad brake light switch.
if possible get a reading on the measuring values for the brake lights and signal input for brake been applied,
check the signal at the brakes/abs unit, ecm, tcm
if the signal gets lost momentarily it will create all kinds of lights to come on.
on the other hand for those who like to guess around the switch only cost like $10.00 and has been revised 3 times, you figure it out.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

When my brake light switch went out, at around 60k miles, the ESP fault would continually pop up after driving for 2-15 minutes. Therefore disabling the ESP and the cruise control. Simple fix, but not sure if that is the case with yours. Only warning that appeared for me was "brake light symbol with an X through it."
The following users liked this post:
Jeremy Nichols (05-09-2021)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dont have a VAG Com.. Where is the best place to get one?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

Quick Reply: 05 A8L ABS and Parking Brake Fault