A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 A8 vs. 08 S8

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 A8 vs. 08 S8

In my budget, I'm comparing these two models. I've driven both, and was suprisingly pleased with the non S. The engine sounds great, and it handles plenty fine for my daily driving needs. Having an extra year factory warranty on this car is a VERY big deal to me, as I will not be happy with any out of pocket upfrtont costs in the first year of ownership. However I love the V10 and the extra goodies the S offers. However I will not be able to find an S with warranty in my budget.

Coming from 10 years of "M" cars, I attend driving events, club gatherings, etc. Its always fun having an enthusiast car, which an "S" would provide. I dont really do track days any longer, so I can get away with a larger luxo cruiser like an A/S8.

Anybody else gone through this same decision?

I figure I can pick up a set of S8 wheels and have 99% of the S look. Obviously no V10, however I honestly dont think I'll miss it in everyday driving all that much.

Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You seem to have your mind made up to buy the A8, but you may find that what initially felt like adequate power is now not so much.

My S8 felt fast when I got it, but now it's just adequate, although there's nothing like the sound of the V10 at WOT.

There's more to the S8's look than the wheels; there's the subtle rear spoiler, quad outlets, aluminum colored mirror housings, lowered suspension, vertical chrome strip grill, and deeper front facia with three center openings.

Last edited by EHLO; 01-02-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHLO
You seem to have your mind made up to buy the A8, but you may find that what initially felt like adequate power is now not so much.

My S8 felt fast when I got it, but now it's just adequate, although there's nothing like the sound of the V10 at WOT.
I don't know how long you've had your S8 but I never lost the feeling of almost too fast with the W12. S8's are supposed to have slightly better 0-60 times so maybe it's just a difference in expectations?

I put over 12k miles on Yamaha R1 superbike over one summer a decade ago so I've certainly felt faster but the grin has never faded when flooring the W12.

I think the FSI SWB A8's are only a second behind the S8/W12 times, though as the OP mentioned the enthusiast feel isn't quite there.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EHLO

There's more to the S8's look than the wheels; there's the subtle rear spoiler, quad outlets, aluminum colored mirror housings, lowered suspension, vertical chrome strip grill, and deeper front facia with three center openings.
Yes, I do appreciate all of the extra S goodies. And want them

What is the expected maintenance cost of an S8 vs. the A8?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy A8. Long version even better. S8 is for guys who don't ask.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ModestW12
I don't know how long you've had your S8 but I never lost the feeling of almost too fast with the W12. S8's are supposed to have slightly better 0-60 times so maybe it's just a difference in expectations?

I put over 12k miles on Yamaha R1 superbike over one summer a decade ago so I've certainly felt faster but the grin has never faded when flooring the W12.

I think the FSI SWB A8's are only a second behind the S8/W12 times, though as the OP mentioned the enthusiast feel isn't quite there.
Same here, my last bike was a Honda CBR929RR.
Don't get me wrong, I still love my S8, but I'm just used to it's power.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A42B
Yes, I do appreciate all of the extra S goodies. And want them

What is the expected maintenance cost of an S8 vs. the A8?
I haven't had to pay anything more than for oil, oil and air filters, and front brake pads, but I've only owned it for a little more than a year. Baring any unexpected repairs, I see replacing the O2 sensors at some point, and hope that I can reach the two of eight that supposedly require an engine drop.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts
Default +1 on the W12 feeling

almost too much for practical full power use beyond momentary for our shared Bay Area.

S8 has the lower gearing and lighter weight with the shorter body and a few likely less options, but W12 has the added torque that likewise makes serious go power.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts
Default Basically, you can figure some marginal difference no matter what...

but not drastically different either. All U.S. D3's are on the 10K/one year oil change cycle as the foctory spec (regardless of what you choose to do personally). A8's and S8's are on the longer cycle like most Audis now for the major service--plugs, etc. (W12's are on a shorter and thus more costly cycle). Compared to the 4.2, the S8 obviously has two more spark plugs, and two air filters instead of one, and takes about 3 more quarts of oil as I recall. Marginally more labor to go with the plugs and dual air boxes, but pretty minor. From my W12 experience compared to my C5 4.2, I definitely drive the W12 with more spirit, and expect the S8 would be much the same. If so, your tire and brakes bill is definitely going up on a per mile basis (plus it's heavier than a 4.2), as is your gas bill.

Probably the big change in costs is in favor of the later 4.2's compared to earlier ones once they got rid of the timing belt and went to a chain as part of the FSI change. As a DIY the belt job is manageable cost wise, but the full job done by a pro or dealer (water pump, thermostat, pulleys, etc. is probably $1500ish (more at dealer) every 75K miles if done by the book. That puts it up there with the cost per mile of other serious stuff like tires, brake jobs at full price, etc. Done away with on the later 4.2's like you are thinking about, in case you hear service costs about the 2006 or earlier ones. But the S8 is also chain and FSI, so that's net even on the two you are considering. Both could have the still somewhat unknown teething issues of intake fouling questions to which direct injection motors are more vulnerable. But by no means is this board littered with common complaints about it like many second generation Mini boards are as examples.

Once you get away from the engine differences and the direct wear items like tires and brakes, figure the rest of the parts and upkeep are pretty much the same across both models.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the S8, that is one pimp ride. I have a M5 and there is nothing comparable to the roar of a v10 (besides a W12) like MP said. Also, if you are under 55, then go with the S8 (don't ask why). Good luck!

Quick Reply: 09 A8 vs. 08 S8