A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A8 23k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does me having to own a AM have to do with wanting an older A8? They are great cars.

There are so many used A8's out there that sooner or later I'll find one that will meet my criteria. Actually, there are a few different makes/models I'm looking at.

I don't understand why everyone keeps pointing out they change their own oil and that it won't show up on the report. That's great you guys change your own oil and I will too once I get mine, but the fact of the matter is that this owner did not change his own oil and did not bring it to any other service station other than the local dealer. I spoke to the owner numerous times about this...

If any of you are comfortable with buying a car that has had two oil changes in 10 years, great. It's just not for me...
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dan87951
What does me having to own a AM have to do with wanting an older A8? They are great cars.

There are so many used A8's out there that sooner or later I'll find one that will meet my criteria. Actually, there are a few different makes/models I'm looking at.

I don't understand why everyone keeps pointing out they change their own oil and that it won't show up on the report. That's great you guys change your own oil and I will too once I get mine, but the fact of the matter is that this owner did not change his own oil and did not bring it to any other service station other than the local dealer. I spoke to the owner numerous times about this...

If any of you are comfortable with buying a car that has had two oil changes in 10 years, great. It's just not for me...
Then it sounds like this thread should be closed, you found/answered what you were looking for. My comment about the Aston was you obviously know a lot about cars, just wondering why you want an 04, the problem child of the D3 A8's. Non FSI, and most unreliable model with the fewest features (no bluetooth, some with no auto unlock doors, different features non standard etc). Still an amazing car just not as loaded as I thought you were looking for.

/Close.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The low miles is what enticed me about this particular car (2004). Don't get me wrong, if a 2007+ popped up with low miles and had a good service history I wouldn't be against it.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Given how long these cars last I wouldn't have my deciding factor be on miles. If it were a difference of even 50k miles that wouldn't detour me. Main thing that you are most likely taking into consideration is more miles=more wear and tear. Don't pass up on a slightly higher mileage one with minor wear and tear. You will regret it, at the end of the day once it is up and maintained properly what you notice is the features and ride, not the difference of 20k miles on the odometer.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Given how long these cars last I wouldn't have my deciding factor be on miles. If it were a difference of even 50k miles that wouldn't detour me. Main thing that you are most likely taking into consideration is more miles=more wear and tear. Don't pass up on a slightly higher mileage one with minor wear and tear. You will regret it, at the end of the day once it is up and maintained properly what you notice is the features and ride, not the difference of 20k miles on the odometer.
Yea, my decision isn't solely based on miles, there are other factors to consider -- condition, history, options, and service. The FSI engines do scare me a little because of the "carbon build up" I keep hearing about though...
Old 10-03-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The FSI in the A8 is almost a non-issue. If you were pondering a used S8 with higher mileage I'd consider a carbon clean, but don't worry about it in the 4.2L that was in the A8. It was quite bad on the 2.0T engines and the 4.2 that was in the RS4, that had it horrible. Outside of that just use the search and scan the threads. Really can't go wrong with an A8 as long as it was maintained properly and you know what to look for. Scan through a bunch of my posts, and Mister Bally has replaced just about everything you can imagine that can break on these cars. He has I believe 300k+ give or take on his A8 at this time. Just make a purchase and enjoy. I really would recommend an 07+ though to get all the goodies and enhancement/changes, really an 08+ but generally there is a decent price bump between an 07 to an 08.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
The FSI in the A8 is almost a non-issue. If you were pondering a used S8 with higher mileage I'd consider a carbon clean, but don't worry about it in the 4.2L that was in the A8. It was quite bad on the 2.0T engines and the 4.2 that was in the RS4, that had it horrible. Outside of that just use the search and scan the threads. Really can't go wrong with an A8 as long as it was maintained properly and you know what to look for. Scan through a bunch of my posts, and Mister Bally has replaced just about everything you can imagine that can break on these cars. He has I believe 300k+ give or take on his A8 at this time. Just make a purchase and enjoy. I really would recommend an 07+ though to get all the goodies and enhancement/changes, really an 08+ but generally there is a decent price bump between an 07 to an 08.
Ok thanks! That is a good news to hear.