A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A8 cooling problems-one more time

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't go twice in there. Change everything and be safe for 80-100K. Some guys around have all the good words for that vendor. Check the other ongoing tread for TB. You may chose to take some shortcuts. If/when I am going to do it I will not rent that expensive tool and I am not going to take half a car apart. Don't take it as an advice. Just as something to think about.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Blau kit and rented the tool kit. I wouldn't try it without the special tools to do the job. Especially the plug that locks the crankshaft and the lock bar for the cams..they are special one of a kind tools. The tool rental is very cheap and well worth it. I read another post on a different where a shop tried to do the job without the locking tools for the cam and crank. Engine blew all valves bent when started. I think the $40 or so is well worth it. Back to Blau Part...they are based out of Wisconsin and were great to deal with. They allow you to use the kit for a week from time of order you just pay shipping back. They refunded my deposit a few days after they received the tools back.

If you order the complete kit you may want to order a new crankshaft bolt as well. If the front crank seal is leaking when you get it apart you will want to replace it. They supply the new seal, but not the bolt(i don't know why). If you do replace it and try and use the old one you will not be able to get the correct torque spec on the old bolt since it is stretched.

If you need any step by step help with it let me know. I can assist you with the job. I also have a few photos that could help you when you get to that point.

PM me whenever if you need something

Last edited by A8nightmare; 05-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default +1 on Blau... not sure about thermostat only idea...

I have bought from Blau Parts (ex-Blauvergnugen) back to my C3 is the late 80's. They have been around and focused on Audi's going way back. For me their web site has often been so-so, though fine for basic stuff. When you call them, they have yet far more, and can get a lot including many OEM type parts. Some of the people I talk to there have been there for many many years; I recognize the voices and names.

On your thermostat only idea, make sure to get input from the 4.2 D3 guys who have changed it. I haven't done the D3 4.2 motor, but can tell you on the C5 4.2 where I have dug deep in, the thermostat cover and water pipe metal piece was positioned in such as way as to basically necessitate pulling the timing belt. I looked at it once early on--taking off all the covers--but couldn't see how it could be done as a meaningfully easier one-off as I think you are considering. When I eventually did the full job including the thermostat, my memory is it confirmed the thermostat and the other major parts of a comprehensive timing belt job are pretty intertwined.

Originally Posted by donm
I appreciate the input. In order to drive the car before I have a chance to change the timing belt et al I may just change the thermostat and do the rest later. I assume its located just above and to the left (looking from the front of the car) of the water pump. If I lock the cams and crank can I depress the hydraulic tensioner to get tension off the timing belt? With the belt off is the thermostat accessible?
P.S. I really will do the timing belt and water pump. I see a kit from Blauparts that looks good. Comes with G12 coolant and has rental toolkit available. Any knowledge of this vendor?
I'm a GM guy so don't be too hard on me. This is my first Audi. I missed church this morning working on the car but having an Audi out of warranty gives me a feel for what hell will be like!!
P.S. I have a manual coming but don't expect it for a week or so.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Yes, definitely these tools...

both the crank locking bolt tool and the big cam gear bar. Per my other posts, the fan tools are useful as well. The tensioner lock can be done with self fashioned alternatives in lieu, though the second time I did it with more working space because of what else I removed, I appreciated its value more.

FWIW, for any bona fide A8 owners in the SF bay area, I have these core tools since they cross over to the C5 4.2, and actually also the C4 2.8 (also a 90 degree motor) in some important ways.

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
I used the Blau kit and rented the tool kit. I wouldn't try it without the special tools to do the job. Especially the plug that locks the crankshaft and the lock bar for the cams..they are special one of a kind tools. The tool rental is very cheap and well worth it. I read another post on a different where a shop tried to do the job without the locking tools for the cam and crank. Engine blew all valves bent when started. I think the $40 or so is well worth it. Back to Blau Part...they are based out of Wisconsin and were great to deal with. They allow you to use the kit for a week from time of order you just pay shipping back. They refunded my deposit a few days after they received the tools back.

If you order the complete kit you may want to order a new crankshaft bolt as well. If the front crank seal is leaking when you get it apart you will want to replace it. They supply the new seal, but not the bolt(i don't know why). If you do replace it and try and use the old one you will not be able to get the correct torque spec on the old bolt since it is stretched.

If you need any step by step help with it let me know. I can assist you with the job. I also have a few photos that could help you when you get to that point.

PM me whenever if you need something
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good thing is you won't need any fan clutch tool on the D3 A8...they have two electric fans. The thermostat is buried and you need to remove the belt to get at everything...Once you are there it is mutually agreed you don't want to go back so order THE WORKS

Last edited by A8nightmare; 05-15-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys were right--it was the thermostat. Did the job today. Replaced the water pump and timing belt also. Put the old and new thermostat in hot water. Old one did nothing new one opened as it should. Took me about 12 hours. I spent 10 1/2 hours on R&R the bumper, lock carrier and flushing the system. Probably do it in 8 next time--but there will be no next time. Car runs great--temp stays right where it should.
Thanks again.
By the way, I bought the camshaft holding tool. Anyone need it (part number 40005) in the Philly area let me know at donandeve@comcast.net.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well done I am glad you got it all together and working. It is definetely a sense of accomplishment after doing the job. Did you use the Blau parts kit? or did you go with something else?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not buy the Blauparts stuff. I read of people having problems with his water pumps. I bought a Hepu pump and a Continental belt. I puchased two thermostats as I could not definitively determine the correct temp. It turns out the correct temp is 82C based on the one I removed. Coincidentally, the new 82C thermostst I bought was a Behr--the same brand as was in the car based on comparing the markings. I'm only looking for a year or two out of the car so it should make it.