A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A8 D3 improvements

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 A8 D3 improvements

Hi guys,

I would like to present you my solution for improvement of MMI 2G infotainment system which I have done in my 2005 A8 D3:
www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/android-auto-more-2005-audi-a8-d3-mmi-2g-high-infotainment-2961006/

Ask me questions if you have any
Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is awesome! How much is the entire setup? Do you have a parts list?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It was done more for fun and desire to have modern infotainment system. I will collect all required hardware and go back to you
Old 10-23-2018, 09:58 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks - please let us know exactly how you did it. I'd like to implement this in my 2004 A8L (I have AMI installed already) w/ MMI 2G High.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is the list of hardware and software used in the project:

1. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 approx. 20$

2. BWS Car power supply with ignition detection for automatic shutdown of the Raspberry PI - approx. 50$

3. LVDS Video Adapter. Video adapter is connected between MMI 2G head unit and screen. Price of mine adapter was approx. 90$. It is needed for displaying video from Raspberry PI on the factory MMI 2G screen via Composite Video Source. Video adapter has also additional video input for the reverse camera. Factory TV tuner is not needed and also not recommended because project uses buttons panel to control Raspberry PI that interferes with the TV tuner controls.

4. Audio Adapter. This is optional step as audio input can be connected via AUX (if present) or high quality FM transceiver. Price of mine was approx. 60$.

5. Raspberry PI 3B+, SD card, case, USB sound card, microphone and Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. Price approx. 50$ for all.

6. TTL logic converter to connect MMI 2G buttons panel to Raspberry PI - approx. 5$

7. Others (wires, composite cable, DB9 socket, etc.) - 5$

Installation process took about 2 hours. The hardest part is connecting LVD Video adapter to the MMI 2G Head unit and one wire from the head unit harness to the logic converter (in order to read signals from buttons panel) - both steps require removal of the glove box. Audio adapter is connected to the CD Changer and MOST loop.

OpenAuto Pro 2.0 gives access to the Android Auto features like Google Maps, Music players (Spotify, Pandora, Google Music and others), voice commands, hands-free calling. There is also integration with Kodi Media Player for playing music from USB dongles. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 is equipped with MMI 2G skin in order to provide better integration with MMI controls and consistency with factory infotainment system. OpenAuto Pro 2.0, Android Auto and Kodi interfaces are controlled by MMI buttons panel.

Activation of the video signal from Raspberry PI is done by NAV button (video adapter that I have supports it). Video adapter is connected to the Raspberry PI 3 that forwards presses of MMI function buttons (Radio, CD, Car, Tel, etc.) to it - OpenAuto Pro 2.0 includes this feature. Press of the function button triggers video adapter to switch off and press of the NAV button switch it on again. Behind the video signal from Raspberry PI 3 MMI 2G displays navigation screen. In my case navigation screen is basically empty (there is no DVD with maps inserted) that allows to use MMI buttons with OpenAuto Pro without interfering MMI 2G system. When I switch to the Car, CD, Radio (or any other) menu, OpenAuto Pro 2.0 stops listening of the buttons panel until I go back to the Navigation screen.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to say that is very, very cool! Looked at a couple of your youtube videos.....

So can you listen to the factory radio i.e. FM while having Android auto up and seeing Google maps for example? Just curious if you click on the "radio" MMI button, it will turn off the signal, so let's say you change the FM radio station on the factory car tuner, and then hit the "Nav" button again, will it still play the radio and you will be on Android auto?

Great job!!!!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:04 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluewavestudio
Here is the list of hardware and software used in the project:

1. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 approx. 20$

2. BWS Car power supply with ignition detection for automatic shutdown of the Raspberry PI - approx. 50$

3. LVDS Video Adapter. Video adapter is connected between MMI 2G head unit and screen. Price of mine adapter was approx. 90$. It is needed for displaying video from Raspberry PI on the factory MMI 2G screen via Composite Video Source. Video adapter has also additional video input for the reverse camera. Factory TV tuner is not needed and also not recommended because project uses buttons panel to control Raspberry PI that interferes with the TV tuner controls.

4. Audio Adapter. This is optional step as audio input can be connected via AUX (if present) or high quality FM transceiver. Price of mine was approx. 60$.

5. Raspberry PI 3B+, SD card, case, USB sound card, microphone and Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. Price approx. 50$ for all.

6. TTL logic converter to connect MMI 2G buttons panel to Raspberry PI - approx. 5$

7. Others (wires, composite cable, DB9 socket, etc.) - 5$

Installation process took about 2 hours. The hardest part is connecting LVD Video adapter to the MMI 2G Head unit and one wire from the head unit harness to the logic converter (in order to read signals from buttons panel) - both steps require removal of the glove box. Audio adapter is connected to the CD Changer and MOST loop.

OpenAuto Pro 2.0 gives access to the Android Auto features like Google Maps, Music players (Spotify, Pandora, Google Music and others), voice commands, hands-free calling. There is also integration with Kodi Media Player for playing music from USB dongles. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 is equipped with MMI 2G skin in order to provide better integration with MMI controls and consistency with factory infotainment system. OpenAuto Pro 2.0, Android Auto and Kodi interfaces are controlled by MMI buttons panel.

Activation of the video signal from Raspberry PI is done by NAV button (video adapter that I have supports it). Video adapter is connected to the Raspberry PI 3 that forwards presses of MMI function buttons (Radio, CD, Car, Tel, etc.) to it - OpenAuto Pro 2.0 includes this feature. Press of the function button triggers video adapter to switch off and press of the NAV button switch it on again. Behind the video signal from Raspberry PI 3 MMI 2G displays navigation screen. In my case navigation screen is basically empty (there is no DVD with maps inserted) that allows to use MMI buttons with OpenAuto Pro without interfering MMI 2G system. When I switch to the Car, CD, Radio (or any other) menu, OpenAuto Pro 2.0 stops listening of the buttons panel until I go back to the Navigation screen.
I see you have a lot of these available on the Bluewave Studio website, and the prices are in Polish dollars. Are any of these parts located in the US to make them easier to get without waiting for a month or more? Have you stashed any of these parts at, say, Amazon and sell in the US?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@a_very_naudi_guy you can change currency to USD dollars, GBP, EUR. Then it is recalculated to Polish PLN currency. Payment is handled by PayPal so it is safe for you at each step.
Software is send with no delay, you have to download it.
Hardware has to be shipped. We are trying to find distributors in the USA, however for now there is no one. So far we have sent a lot stuff to the USA, a there was no issues. Waiting time vary from 1 up to 3 weeks. It is not so bad.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PaulW
I have to say that is very, very cool! Looked at a couple of your youtube videos.....

So can you listen to the factory radio i.e. FM while having Android auto up and seeing Google maps for example? Just curious if you click on the "radio" MMI button, it will turn off the signal, so let's say you change the FM radio station on the factory car tuner, and then hit the "Nav" button again, will it still play the radio and you will be on Android auto?

Great job!!!!

It works like audio from another mmi device - for example if you are listening radio you cannot listen CD at the same time. Exactly the same approach is here.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluewavestudio
@a_very_naudi_guy you can change currency to USD dollars, GBP, EUR. Then it is recalculated to Polish PLN currency. Payment is handled by PayPal so it is safe for you at each step.
Software is send with no delay, you have to download it.
Hardware has to be shipped. We are trying to find distributors in the USA, however for now there is no one. So far we have sent a lot stuff to the USA, a there was no issues. Waiting time vary from 1 up to 3 weeks. It is not so bad.
Actually only points 1 and 2 have to purchased by our website.
Everything else you can easily get in the USA.

Quick Reply: 2005 A8 D3 improvements