Android Auto and more in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Performance and Tuning
Reload this Page >

Android Auto and more in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment

Notices
Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto and more in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment

Old 10-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Android Auto and more in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment

One day I decided to improve original Audi infotainment system with new features like support of Android Auto and external media player with support of USB stick, Spootify and more. Below you can find results of my work.

I would like to present you a setup based on RPI3 HW and OpenAuto Pro 2.0 software implemented in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment system on-board. Similar setup can be done in Audi A5, Audi A6 and Audi Q7 as well.

First thing to do was adding a video input device. Mentioned Audi was not equipped with the factory TV Tuner and FBAS connector. Anyway, factory TV tuner was not an option because we wanted to use MMI 2G panel to control OpenAuto Pro. There are plenty of video input adapters for the MMI 2G High so we picked one and installed it in the Audi. Installation process was really simple - the hardest thing to do was removal of glove box (MMI head unit is placed behind it). Later everything was Plug&Play. For the audio input we used similar adapter connected to the CD changer - it supports up to 3 audio sources. Next step was connecting one wire to the head unit harness in order to receive the signal from the buttons panel.

And that's all - clean setup without cutting any wires and drilling .

To activate video signal from Raspberry PI we use NAV button (video adapter that we picked supports it). Video adapter is connected to the Raspberry PI 3 that forwards presses of MMI buttons to it (OpenAuto Pro 2.0 includes this feature). Behind the video signal from Raspberry PI 3 MMI 2G displays navigation screen. In our case navigation screen is basically empty (there is no DVD with maps inserted) that allows to use MMI buttons with OpenAuto Pro without interfering MMI 2G system. When we switch to the Car, CD, Radio (or any other) menu OpenAuto Pro 2.0 stops listening of the buttons panel until we go back to the Navigation screen.

YT presentation of functionality

Video adapter

Audi glowbox

Audi hardware setup

Audi hardware setup, close look

OpenAuto Pro with Audi skin
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you very much for the tutorial and sharing. I really need that. I hope it will work for me.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Pirate Bay YIFY RARBG
Old 11-02-2018, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are welcome. If you have some questions you can always check OpenAuto Pro forum to check if there is solution:
https://bluewavestudio.io/forum/
https://bluewavestudio.io/forum/view...php?f=12&t=154