A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 audi A8L passenger low beam headlight out

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2007 audi A8L passenger low beam headlight out

Greetings everyone,
I just found this forum and registered tonight. I looks like there is a wealth of knowledge on here, however, I was not able to successfully find what I was looking for. My passenger side low beam headlight went out the other night and I was wondering if this is a DIY project. I've found a few topics discussing other lights and I see that you need to pull the air filter off, but I have some other questions:

1) If I replace just 1, will it be a different color that the old one? Do I need to replace both of them?

2) Is it best to use a OEM replacement bulb, or are their better, brighter bulbs out there?

3) Are any special tools required for the job?

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 15-20 minute job. You just need to loosen the clamp around the airbox hose, and the 5 phillips-head screws on the airbox to pull it off.

Once you get the air box out, you'll have access to the cover for the headlight. There are two tabs on top, just pop em and you are in.

Change the air cleaner while you are in there.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

tbisaacs,
Today, I tried to get at the passenger side low beam. it was a pain in the butt. I could not get to it by just taking off the air filter. I would have to jack up the car, remove the passenger tire, remove the fender lining and then get to it.... The sad thing is, I bought a new bulb for $105 and got it in.... but I couldn't get the ballast to connect to it... And during the frustration.... I might have touched the bulb... Well now, I'm bringing it to a dealer, who will charge me... $160 for a new bulb and $100 labor..... It was a crappy day....
Old 08-03-2011, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Right, I cannot see it being possible to change the HiD lamps from above - you have to remove the wheel liner and go in from below - it is nowhere near as bad as it sounds.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was able to do the passenger side from above, but it wasn't easy and I don't recommend trying. I think my hands are too big to appreciate the finer points of German engineering.

The Driver's side is a no-go from above, no doubt about it.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The bulb you need is $10.00 on eBay. Save yourself $90 and run with one bulb for a few days while you wait for it to arrive.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The headlight is fixed

Well I ended up paying Audi $85 to do the headlight... it ended up being the ballast that needed to be replaced.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmp470
Well I ended up paying Audi $85 to do the headlight... it ended up being the ballast that needed to be replaced.
Can you please elaborate? I have been experiencing some intermittent headlight problems also on the passenger side. In a nutshell, sometimes the headlight works and other times it does not and I get bulb out warning. The fact that it works sometimes makes me think it is NOT the bulb, but rather the ballast. I know there was some issues with vibration with this assembly, but that is hard to prove for sure.

Basically I'm wondering how they diagnosed you needed to replace the ballast? What did they charge exactly? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

slightly on-topic:
One of my HID bulbs was more purplish than the other. The dealer mentioned it and said it would probably need replacing soon. So I bought a pair on eBay for $15.

After a failed attempt to do it from the engine bay, I resorted to the Bentley instructions and took out the wheel liner. I just took my sweet time being the first time, but I could do it in maybe 30 minutes per side now including prep and cleanup.

I struggled immensely on the 1st one trying to get the little inside 'box' twisted back on the back of the bulb. I finally noticed 3 tiny little 'nubs' on the mounting face of the new bulbs. They were maybe .01" high and .01"dia. I took an exacto and cut them off. I guess that was the problem, because I got that 'box' to finally twist on.

Moral of the story: compare the dimensions and features of your new bulbs very carefully before trying to install them. I was almost ready to send them back.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think about DIY replacement if I knew that the bulb was the problem, but not sure that it is...

Quick Reply: 2007 audi A8L passenger low beam headlight out