A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 audi A8L passenger low beam headlight out

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Jason,
I have a CPO and it is still covered under a warranty, but I have to pay a co-pay for the work. Anyways, I tried to do the bulb myself and got it out and put back together. Just to find out that the dealer changed out the ballast. In the end, in my case I should have just let them do the job.

In your case you would have to either take out both bulbs to see if that works or you would have to change the ballast. Hope this helps
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is CPO as well so maybe I'll just let the dealer deal with it after all.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xenon bulb PITA

I am having intermittent headlight trouble on my passenger side as well on my 2004 A8L. I have replaced the bulb, swapped the ignitor side to side, and still have no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else to check? I see from Bentley's wiring diagrams there may be a relay behind the instrument panel, does anyone have a hint as to how to access this relay? I am at a loss as to where to look next.

Thanks, Tim
Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Y'ALL BE CAREFUL

Originally Posted by AudiOx
slightly on-topic:
I struggled immensely on the 1st one trying to get the little inside 'box' twisted back on the back of the bulb. I finally noticed 3 tiny little 'nubs' on the mounting face of the new bulbs. They were maybe .01" high and .01"dia. I took an exacto and cut them off. I guess that was the problem, because I got that 'box' to finally twist on.

Moral of the story: compare the dimensions and features of your new bulbs very carefully before trying to install them. I was almost ready to send them back.
The "box" you are talking about is called the ignitor. High voltage, y'all be careful. Audi recommends you disconnect the battery and discharge the ignitor by selecting the lights on for several seconds before messing with it. The problems you had re-installing the ignitor were because there is an alignment ring inside the box and if you place the electrical connector in place before installing the "box" the ring can twist. The ring can also fail to align properly following disassembly. Slide the ring back into position and it should all fit together smoothly. There are THREE slots for those tiny "nubs" to align with to hold the bulb in its proper position and prevent it from rotating, vibration control, I believe.

These cars are somewhat over engineered

Tim 2004 A8L
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by timba
I am having intermittent headlight trouble on my passenger side as well on my 2004 A8L. I have replaced the bulb, swapped the ignitor side to side, and still have no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else to check? I see from Bentley's wiring diagrams there may be a relay behind the instrument panel, does anyone have a hint as to how to access this relay? I am at a loss as to where to look next.

Thanks, Tim
I had this same issue on my 08. Headlight would turn on, stay on, go off. Warning light come on in the instrument panel. I'd cycle the lights on/off and the light would come on and stay on until I turned on the brights, etc. Weird.

Turned out, there were some codes stored in the DTC and once they were cleared out, I haven't experienced the issue again. Apparently, before I bought the car, someone had let the battery die down and this caused some codes to throw and this caused all of the headlamp issues.

All's good now.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by timba
..... There are THREE slots for those tiny "nubs" to align with to hold the bulb in its proper position and prevent it from rotating, vibration control, I believe.

These cars are somewhat over engineered

Tim 2004 A8L
Great tip about the ignitor voltage.
Those little nubs weren't on the OEM bulbs, just the aftermarket ones so it's not an Audi engineering feature. They seemed to not allow the ignitor to move in that last .01" so the 3 tabs could engage.
I also noticed the OEM bulbs had more support in the form of a metal 'tripod' that decreased much of the cantilever on the bulb. The aftermarket ones were just supported at the base of the bulb. For $14, if they last a year, it's worth the money.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Went in to dealer today and they tested everything and determined that the bulbs were on their last legs. This is their explanation for why lights were working only sometimes. I'm not sure I buy it, but it was covered under CPO warranty, so no harm no foul. I'll give it a twirl for now and cross my fingers.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Teller
Can you please elaborate? I have been experiencing some intermittent headlight problems also on the passenger side. In a nutshell, sometimes the headlight works and other times it does not and I get bulb out warning. The fact that it works sometimes makes me think it is NOT the bulb, but rather the ballast. I know there was some issues with vibration with this assembly, but that is hard to prove for sure.

Basically I'm wondering how they diagnosed you needed to replace the ballast? What did they charge exactly? Thanks in advance.
Most likely the bulb is your issue. When the ballast first receives power it will put out maximum voltage and if the bulb doesn't fire it will cut power. The easiest way to determine if the bulb is your issue is to turn the headlights off and then back on. If that bulb then comes on then most likely your issue is the bulb.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2004 Audi a8l and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to install the drivers side ballast and HID bulbs
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the ballast and HID bulb on the drivers side of a 2004 Audi a8l

Quick Reply: 2007 audi A8L passenger low beam headlight out