A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding TV Analog Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default What do you want to do? Watch TV while driving or stationary?

Originally Posted by tdawg183
I did find this list, just wondering if it's accurate for a car already equipped from the factory with a backup camera.

Parts required:
- Hybrid TV tuner (Audi part 4E0 910 148 D)
- 4 x screws for the tuner (see notes below)
- 2 x felt strips under the tuner (Audi part 533 867 910 A)
- TV tuner cable set (e.g. Kufatec 34533 Kabelsatz TV Tuner A6 4F inkl. LWL)
- Antenna cable set (car specific, see notes below)
- 2 x RCA video-in adapters for external AV connections
- Optionally a shorter FAKRA/FBAS composite video cable (see notes below)
Hybrid TV tuner doesn't work in America ATSC.
ATSC only needs Analog tuner.
cables.
ATSC + M/H tuner ccmbo. Stationary in case you don't have mobile stations in your area.
That's all.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Hybrid TV tuner doesn't work in America ATSC.
ATSC only needs Analog tuner.
cables.
ATSC + M/H tuner ccmbo. Stationary in case you don't have mobile stations in your area.
That's all.

Cheers,

Louis
Thanks Louis, the cables... would that be this?

And what do you mean by M/H tuner combo? Apologies as the acronyms are still a bit over my head.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default M/H mobile tv tuner

Originally Posted by tdawg183
Thanks Louis, the cables... would that be this?

And what do you mean by M/H tuner combo? Apologies as the acronyms are still a bit over my head.
ATSC tuner at home is stationary, the frequencies are different from the mobile TV tuner (while in motion and resolution is less, therefore, no HD). Mobile TV is a different broadcast system, like in the CA, only 1 or 2 TV stations actually have Mobile broadcast channel. Check your area to see if you have any.
The tuner for mobile is different from the tuner for stationary system, therefore, if you select the stationary, you can't tune the mobile channel while driving. If you don't plan to watch while driving, then get the stationary tv tuner, cheaper and better and more channel to watch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-ATSC-...eiver/15523789

get the combo, you can watch while parking and driving also.

Amazon.com: BOYO VT-MHC ATSC+ATSC M/H Dual Combo TV Tuner: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BOYO VT-MHC ATSC+ATSC M/H Dual Combo TV Tuner: Car Electronics

The link you sent me doesn't include the RCA input for AV1 or AV2. Read the thread from the beginning to end carefully.

Summary:
1. Analog TV xxx 146 - fakra cable to camera controller (you already have it) - VIDEO out from analog TV to Camera controller VIDEO input.
2. Need to create cable (composite and RCA audio) to receive VIDEO and AUDIO from TV tuner or LAPTOP from the 40 pins connector - look at my diagrams and the pictures of the RCA video (yellow), audio (red, black).
3. Need to have optical connection and power connection to the analog tv.

I used the optical and power cables from the unused SAT radio in the trunk for my Analog TV.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

3. Need to have optical connection and power connection to the analog tv.

I used the optical and power cables from the unused SAT radio in the trunk for my Analog TV.
Great. I'm following now. Last 2 question (hopefully)
1) I can't use the optical and power from SAT radio as it's operational in my car. How do I get around this (what cable do I make/buy)?

2) I'd like to have whatever tuner (mobile) I use show up in the MMI under the TV selection and not the "External AV source"... is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lots of work and not much benefit - just forget it...

Great. I'm following now. Last 2 question (hopefully)
1) I can't use the optical and power from SAT radio as it's operational in my car. How do I get around this (what cable do I make/buy)?
Either buy a pre-made optical spliced cable or make one, search the forum on how to do it, power cable just splice it from any power source like DVD or SAT Radio (3 pins out of 6)
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/watch...on-mmi-2g.html

2) I'd like to have whatever tuner (mobile) I use show up in the MMI under the TV selection and not the "External AV source"... is that possible?
What's the difference? TV or external AV, you still have to select them. TV is only for hybrid tuner, you can try to get the analog tuner, connect an antenna to the analog input and try to see if it can see anything.
I don't know how to do it.
BTW, it's better to forget it, it's not worth it. I have kids, so I add them to watch movies on long trip and me waiting for the family shopping.
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/watch...tegration.html
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Either buy a pre-made optical spliced cable or make one, search the forum on how to do it, power cable just splice it from any power source like DVD or SAT Radio (3 pins out of 6)
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/watch...on-mmi-2g.html
Maybe I'm blind but I've been completely unable to find a post on making or buying an optically spliced cable.

Would this TV Tuner Harness with Optical from Kufatec not do the trick? Combine that with two RCA inputs and I'm golden.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think these are the ones you're looking for

<a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-AMI-MMI-Cable-Set-A4-4E-A6-4F-A5-Q7-Q5-incl-FOC-/111195427226?hash=item19e3c3919a&vxp=mtr">Optical splitter + power splitter</a>

or find something that are comparable like the <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/ami-ipod-interface-2g.html">AMI splitter from CD changer</a>

If you don't use <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/watch-atsc-ota-tv-on-mmi-2g.html">the Satellite Radio</a> like me, use that set.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome. Thanks Louis.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Alright....I think this is the route I am going to take. Intimidating at first with the wiring but I believe I can do it. I have seen a few part numbers for the main unit, what would the latest revision number be? Does it even matter?
I am running the xm tuner also. Is this going to have much difference as far as installation procedure? I do realize I will have to run a new power source off the fuse block. Where do I mount this btw? Things look a little tight back there. Does it piggyback behind the xm unit?
It looks like I will have to order this? TV tuner cable set (e.g. Kufatec 34533 Kabelsatz TV Tuner A6 4F inkl. LWL)
I will have to read through this thread again and again. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is the most PAINLESS way to watch TV if you already

has the FBAS on your head unit - 07+ year. It's extremely simple after I've done it.

original 4E0-919-146-C - in the back OPTICAL, VIDEO OUTPUT (GREEN) and 20 PINS connectors for VIDEO INPUTS and POWER

PIN 1,2,3 are power pins should be spliced to any components power - +12V - GND - Sense
the pin 3 sense is for the car to turn off the unit when not used (save power).

Now, all you need is the OPTICAL MOST cable splitter from any of the components - use the Satellite XM radio is best.

Buy a <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251399603117?lpid=82">z-fakra cable (12" or longer)</a> to go from the Tuner to the back up camera controller box (Z connector doesn't have pin orientation which can be used for all types of fakra).

That's it, hook them all up and you can have external Video inputs AV1 & AV2 from MMI.

BTW, I made an extra 20pins connector with video cables and power - and it's still laying around somewhere - make me an offer.

Now, there are 2 types of ATSC tuners - static and mobile - buy both for AV1 & AV2 so you can watch TV while driving and sit and watch TV Over the air. Mobile channels are not very popular and not many exist, but static ones are plenty.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: Adding TV Analog Tuner Questions