A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension nightmare

The air suspension on my D3 A8 has been playing up (car sitting low overnight) and the right driver's front side being lower than the left whilst driving (torture when going over speed bumps)

I took it to an audi dealer's garage a couple of months ago who ran a diagnostic and stated that it needed a new air compressor coming in at £1600 ($2600) including labour . At the time I thought it was a bit much to spend on a car I had bought for £5000 and the problem was only intermittent.

The air leak on the right side has now become worse so I took the car to a different (again audi dealer) garage, to my surprise they've now quoted £2,400 ($4,000) to fix a "valve" in the air suspension (I have been dealing with a receptionist who seems like she has no clue about what the actual problem is other than reading the report that the technician has written.

I am now at the end of my wits regarding what to do, my independent mechanic says the air suspension is too complex and he cannot deal with it which is the reason why I took it to audi in the first place.

Is there any way around paying this much? (bearing in mind the car does run normally occasionally whilst driving so I know the air compressor itself is not knackered).

I am not very mechanically orientated so apologies if any part of the above sound ignorant. I would appreciate any help or advice at all
Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You need to get eyes on the diagnostic scan and post it up here before going any further.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Search this and the AllRoad forums, it's a common problem and well documented.
Go to advanced search and use terms "valve block" and "Suspension compressor" in quotes. I wrote that word so much on here I wanted to that calling it "the c-word"!

The valves are all in one "valve block", the compressor wears out but I replaced mine with one from Meisser (sp?) from Ebay for $500 and that includes shipping from Germany to the US and I got it in three days. They're up to $600 now but search and learn, grashoppa.

Also search user "BagpipingAndy". He sells a rebuild kit and is nearer to you than me, judging from your "accent"

-Tom

Last edited by aTOMic; 08-29-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your compressor might be still OK, but it won't stay like that for long. If it was broken three months ago your car would be all way to the ground.

I can't say how that mechanic found that valve block is faulty (scan would help), but it seems more like front right strut. Soap and water test would detect the leak. You need independent mechanic who knows A8 or is willing to learn. One you have should stay with Vauxhall. If it is a leaky strut buy refurbished one from Arnott.

Forget dealers. Not with £5000 car. They will kill your budget.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Mishar. If it was a compressor or block, it would effect the whole car and not just the front right. I would start with checking the right front strut for an air leak.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

When searching, also search for "WABCO" and "ECAS".
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well if it helps any, I have a good compressor and struts for sale. I just converted to spring suspension.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by djikonatx
Well if it helps any, I have a good compressor and struts for sale. I just converted to spring suspension.
What was your conversion cost?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My car recently had a strut die.

The fault codes were an orange warning light lit up as the compressor overheated getting the pressure right with an air leak.

Then when parked, it will sink on one side (the stuffed side) so when you turn the car on, it will have a flashing pair of lights until it reached level.

the fault codes using VCDS read the G291 sensor (valve block) and the compressor over temp. this is because the sensor in the valve block isn't getting enough pressure from the compressor because the compressor cant keep up with the leaky strut.

Later on, it will be a leak fault code.

To protect the compressor, I would always put the car in jacking mode when parked so it wouldn't auto level while the car was parked. It would then have enough in the reserve tank to raise it when I started driving again. I also used the VCDS to lower the car 45mm. This way the car didn't have so far to pump up.

If you jack the car up on the dud strut side, it will hiss at you as it raises off the ground. This means the strut has become useless and needs replacing.

Mike
Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mcs
I also used the VCDS to lower the car 45mm.
Haw exactly you did that?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension nightmare