A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension strut removal pretty fast. Pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other idea figuring this out why it still leaks after replacement ?
I had a leak at the top of the strut....never checked for other places and just assume is either the bag or the gasket...purchased the bag and follow all instructions here step by step and reinstalled. With the new bag it still leaks at the same place, top of the strut. What else could cause the leak up there other than a defective new/old blown bag and the little 2 gaskets that get installed on the strut which are the new ones provided that I used.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

The only air that leaks is from the airbag, no other air from anywhere.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dville

Once the 18mm nut is removed from the top of the strut, the air spring bladder can be pulled up from over the strut.
Here I am pulling up the air spring bladder.

Once the air spring bladder rubber bellows is lifted to expose the section of metal tube covering the lower air spring bladder seal, you will need some prying to expose the o-ring

First I put the strut in a vice, and grabbed the tube to spin it, then I used a lever the pry up the tube more

Here you can see the lower o-ring

The part number printed on a label on the gas strut
15.1450-0184.3 Sachs 46 2400 000 411
05347 / VD328KL Made in Germany
Bar code: 0184305347

Sliding the tube upwards

Looking into the air spring bladder I could see the orange bump stop crumbling away

View of the top smaller o-ring

View of the air spring bladder lower seal for the old air spring bladder.

Manually pushing or retracting the tube into the air spring bladder to see how the bladder folds and creases with no air in it.

Side by side of old and new air spring bladder

Side by side of old and new air spring bladder lower o-ring sealing surface

Side by side of old and new air spring bladder lower bladder seal (old bladder on the left, new one on the right is thicker)

Removing lower O-ring.

Removing upper O-ring.

Old orings on left, new on right.

I had to use a set of ViceGrips to remove this what seems to be an air pressure regulator. It has to be put back on the new inlet

Installing the air inlet parts.

When I installed the air regulator unto the new inlet fitting, it did not feel like the o-ring was being compressed. I ended up using a new o-ring from a package of o-rings that I had around. The original o-ring on the regulator was brittle and damaged anyway. The numbers on the air regulator are
49/05 13.2-3.71 on the LEFT side air spring bladder air regulator
47/05 13.2-3.71 on the RIGHT side air spring bladder air regulator

This pic I am just checking to make sure the air spring bladder is folded correctly to reduce wrinkling when expanded. This may be not an issue as air is added, but I am just being cautious.

I used a wire hanger to fish the strut damping wire through the top of the air spring bladder hole.

The large band clamp provided with the kit to clamp in the protective boot.

I hooked the ends together before sliding over the strut assembly, worked it all the way up to the rubber ridge, and used a pick to slide it into place

Then I used a special band clamp tool (I have used a wire cutter on smaller clamps before) to pinch the clamp tighter unto the boot.

Finished assembly ready to install. I cleaned and carefully removed the bar code sticker from the old air spring bladder and put it on the new one.

HI, what size are the o rings for the shock to bladder?
Old 04-06-2022, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get the 41 MM to fit on top?

It wont go through the hole and reach the actual bolt...
The hole for the strut tower brace on the frame is just a few MM smaller.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I was having the same issue with the 41MM long socket - I percussed at first a black metal socket,

afterward I replaced it with 41mm long thin socket (metal color) and it feet's as needed to release the strut,

Best regards,

Alon