A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Light Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag Light Problem Solved

I just thought I would share this. My A8 had a rear passenger side air bag ignitor limit code N202. The code kept coming on everday and I checked it with Vag-Com then would clear it. After doing some checking I removed the rear seat and disconnected the tiny plug that goes to the airbag. I sprayed some WD-40 in the connector and plugged it back in then cleared the code. It has been over a week now with no further airbag code. These small connectors seem like they will have problems from time to time. The entire job took about 15-20minutes with almost no tools required.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touchy Little Buggers!

Anytime I removed something envolving Airbag Plugs it would throw the Code. Most of the time it was just a loose connection although you couldn't tell just by looking at it. NTL, after reconnecting and clearing code, everything would be ok. This why I warn anyone on the Board to double check the Plug and do not turn the ignition before that so that the code does not register. Congrats on your success! Laters,
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes. I think that most of those codes are caused by imperfect connection. Computer is using very low voltage signals when checking circuits and seemingly good connection can create enough resistance for that small voltage to throw a code. WD-40 can help but there are better contact sprays used in electronics. I think it should come in a group with Ross-Tech VCDS and Bentley Manual as a must for every A8 owner.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...And it doesn't seem to be concentrated to Air Bag connectors. I've read an unusually large (relatively speaking) number of posts here and on other sites that speak to this problem.

Someone, not long ago, posted on this site that they are making it standard practice to do this with every electrical connector that they come across. Not going out of your way, just making sure to do this exercise if a connector is involved in a repair or maintenance procedure that's already taking place.

It made sense to me and I've made it standard practice in my garage too. It sure can't hurt anything. And, who knows, maybe it will prevent an electrical issue in the future.

Carry on...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You are right. I just fixed (really hope so ) Steering Angle Sensor fault by disconnecting, spraying some WD40 and reconnecting it.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Works

definitely works but should not be used as a permanent application as is static conductive, plus when used on things like lock cylinders when it dries is even worst as it kills any grease in there.
for air bags or any electrical connectors we only use STABILANT , except on O2 sensors.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the everlasting effort to make me A8 expert my car put me on yet another test. Airbag light came on last night. VCDS says rear passenger side. Took rear seat off, disconnected airbag harness (yellow one), applied two drops of DeoxIT and error is gone. Hopefully for good.

DeoxIT is similar product to Stabilant 22A. It is only twice cheaper and they claim better for moving (under vibration) contacts since it never drys.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give a step by step on this repair? Just got the car and I don't want to break something trying to take the rear seat out
Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome!

Just pull the bench up like in any other car.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Anyone seeing this on the driver's steering wheel bag?

I'm getting the light occasionally. The codes say it is the driver's steering wheel airbag. I pulled the wheel (battery disconnected) and unplugged and replugged the bag back in again. Code went away for a week or so, but it's back.

I'm starting to wonder if it is in the clock spring connection, or back at the control computer for the wires to this particular location. I will go read the codes again, but meanwhile anyone been through checking the connectors on the airbag system control module end? Where is the module generally (haven't pulled out Bentley again yet)?

Quick Reply: Airbag Light Problem Solved