A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:56 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I checked my version via the red update menus and found that indeed I already had the latest version. I bought the AMI from someone on this forum so I should've figured they'd have kept it up to date =D. Was able to pick up the songs on the USB thumb drive and play them just fine. Now I need to load up something with my music collection, stick it in the glove box, and be gravy.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2018, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to be too off topic -- but I've given up on changing my 2006 system because a $500 part is needed to expand the system (i've already bought the harness and even the audi bluetooth reciever that plugs into the $500 adapter. Instead, I went to walmart and got a $7 1/8" plug radio transmitter that seems to be just as good as most bluetooth qualities I've heard. It runs on AAA batteries that i've not had to change. THen I upgraded to the better quality cigarette lighter plug-in unit for the trunk (crutchfield) for about $38. I'm happy enough with them -- however if making a long trip and passing through a city with same broadcast you need to go into trunk to change frequency.

I would like a backup camera.
I would like to get the bluetooth music component for less than $500
but i've ran out of patience.

During a battery replacement to an AGM I somehow messed up my AMI. I forget how or why, but it did start 100% volume of highly distorted sound. There is a restore to factory default option in AMI and that did the trick. No issues since the restore to factory.
One complaint is the CRAP signal quality and high compression of music on the satellite xm songs. It's that way on every car. not worth more than $99 as an option. Its sad because they USED to have a low compression upgraded signal option that WAS hifi. not any more. the greed of the sat companies kicked in. what a Shame.

My best music comes from high quality CDs. it's awesome in the 06 era A8L. Some day I will upgrade to a bang-olufsen A8L, but right now I'm getting another 100K out of this magic car and loving it. Radio signal in Florida is pretty good, especially in Miami. we have HDradio on a newer passat TDI we picked up this summer and it's a hassle dealing with the HD2,HD3 channels -- another missed opportunity for most people for great music they dont know about.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default XCARLINK Doesn't Use AMI

Originally Posted by Florida8L
not to be too off topic -- but I've given up on changing my 2006 system because a $500 part is needed to expand the system (i've already bought the harness and even the audi bluetooth reciever that plugs into the $500 adapter. Instead, I went to walmart and got a $7 1/8" plug radio transmitter that seems to be just as good as most bluetooth qualities I've heard. It runs on AAA batteries that i've not had to change. THen I upgraded to the better quality cigarette lighter plug-in unit for the trunk (crutchfield) for about $38. I'm happy enough with them -- however if making a long trip and passing through a city with same broadcast you need to go into trunk to change frequency.

I would like a backup camera.
I would like to get the bluetooth music component for less than $500
but i've ran out of patience.

During a battery replacement to an AGM I somehow messed up my AMI. I forget how or why, but it did start 100% volume of highly distorted sound. There is a restore to factory default option in AMI and that did the trick. No issues since the restore to factory.
One complaint is the CRAP signal quality and high compression of music on the satellite xm songs. It's that way on every car. not worth more than $99 as an option. Its sad because they USED to have a low compression upgraded signal option that WAS hifi. not any more. the greed of the sat companies kicked in. what a Shame.

My best music comes from high quality CDs. it's awesome in the 06 era A8L. Some day I will upgrade to a bang-olufsen A8L, but right now I'm getting another 100K out of this magic car and loving it. Radio signal in Florida is pretty good, especially in Miami. we have HDradio on a newer passat TDI we picked up this summer and it's a hassle dealing with the HD2,HD3 channels -- another missed opportunity for most people for great music they dont know about.
Works great for BT music streaming, comes with MOST splitter and power harness, connects off CD player cables. Fits in the little pull-out tray next to the AMI slot. Has AUX input, but why bother? You can keep your CD player. Displays Artist, Song Title, Album and controls through MMI and stearing wheel. Total cost, about $300 if you buy off eBay UK and make an offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-2G-MMI-Fiber-Optic-MOST-Bluetooth-Streaming-Interface-Adapter-AUX-A6-A8-Q7/263973188352?hash=item3d76073300:g:axEAAOSwE8Vbthy U
Old 11-06-2018, 11:01 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might end up re-installing my CD player alongside the AMI so that I can get the kit that user 'bluewavestudio' is selling. He isn't 100% sure it works with AMI, but it shows up as CD #7 on the CD changer. I will just need the MOST splitter and whatnot so that I can have both installed, and then get his kit.

I have a feeling, however, that his kit would work with the aux item as a source if plugged in directly to AMI. I might buy the kit, try it with my AMI unit only, and if not I'll grab a splitter and install my CD changer and do that way. His kit is really nice from what it looks like.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've plugged in a usb with the update file, but nothing happens on the MMI screen, could anyone advise?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I presume you’re talking about trying to update your AMI with the USB stick? i suspect your AMI is alrady up-to-date if nothing happened. that was my experience when I tried the USB ...

Use the hidden red menu to check your code level

Julian
Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi there, also tried to update, upload on stick the bin file and the error was...not compatible update file!
any help is required
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As per the previous thread item; suggest you use the 'hidden red screen' option to check your current AMI level. The latest / final version is 4E0 035 785 F, which corresponds to AMI level 0850.

Julian

See Thread entry #40 for an expaianation of the Red Menu and how to access it!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24986416

Last edited by JulianHicks; 04-20-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Why update? I've never updated mine since 2008 and everything works fine. Why do things without benefit risking to break things in the process?
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
As per the previous thread item; suggest you use the 'hidden red screen' option to check your current AMI level. The latest / final version is 4E0 035 785 F, which corresponds to AMI level 0850.

Julian

See Thread entry #40 for an expaianation of the Red Menu and how to access it!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24986416
I have 55.7.0 MMI firmware and 0170 AMI and these messages as attached.

Quick Reply: AMI Update