A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDI A8 D3 4.2 V8 BFM. CAR SWITCHED OFF WHILE DRIVING .

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Understood. What did the mechanics conclude went wrong? What was found?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Understood. What did the mechanics conclude went wrong? What was found?
Wrong plugs, negligence of maintenance by the previous owner
And abusive driving
Old 09-22-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by altaf
Wrong plugs, negligence of maintenance by the previous owner
And abusive driving
Nor really conclusive answer. It won't help anybody. What exactly was broken besides valves and spark plug? What was the piston damage ? Melted or just mechanical? Any small intake manifold parts missing?

Abusive driving wise, what was that last tiptronic move? Over revving should be electronically prevented.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
Nor really conclusive answer. It won't help anybody. What exactly was broken besides valves and spark plug? What was the piston damage ? Melted or just mechanical? Any small intake manifold parts missing?

Abusive driving wise, what was that last tiptronic move? Over revving should be electronically prevented.

Bent valves, melted piston, the head was pretty bad.

Following was replaced.

40 valves
Guides
8 sleeves
8 pistons
Rings big ends.

Basically new engine.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would bet the belt is missing a tooth or two.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by altaf
Bent valves, melted piston, the head was pretty bad.

Following was replaced.

40 valves
Guides
8 sleeves
8 pistons
Rings big ends.

Basically new engine.
That's a lot of damage, although your mechanic has not given you any useful information around cause and effect. What's to say it won't happen again if you don't know the cause? Was it over revved, overheated, low oil pressure, skipped timing belt, injested something, sensor failure, ECU failure etc etc....?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
That's a lot of damage, although your mechanic has not given you any useful information around cause and effect. What's to say it won't happen again if you don't know the cause? Was it over revved, overheated, low oil pressure, skipped timing belt, injested something, sensor failure, ECU failure etc etc....?
Exactly!

I think there must be missing part of intake flaps that stuck the valve opened. If that was the case and intake manifold was not replaced, it will happen again.

It is not possible to over rev A8 engine unless there is something wrong with the gearbox, including it's computer. If that was the case and it was not fixed it can happen again. Even if it was over revved it wouldn't be only one valve (cylinder).

If it was timing belt all valves would be bent, but not that much since the engine will stop immediately.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default timing

definitely timing related
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default timing

how were the cylinder walls?
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default FWIW, I know of one "mod" way to over rev a 4.2...

if you happen to remove the MAF air flow screens that you find in the tube in pursuit of more power. This board is too tame to have ever seen that discussed/admitted here though AFAIK. The engine over revs in first faster than the computer can move it on to second or the rev limiter finally kicks in to tamp it down, at least w/ the prior five speed. Don't ask me how I know... The old 4.2 D2/C5 V8 S8/S6 used to rev to something like 7,000 IIRC with pretty much the same motor set up but somewhat more high RPM intake breathing (throttle body, air box bypass hose, etc.), so the belt and valve train (and con rods, etc.) should be able to tolerate some in practice.

Yes BTW on your intake theory as a possible. Depending on what the broken parts are, it can take out one or multiple cylinders, or jam the belt drive as all hell breaks loose. Actually had it as a fluke on my 85 5000 I5. Got hit at 90 degrees at side of fender far forward and snapped off a piece of the throttle assembly that was near that area in the old slant motor inline layouts. It was hidden by the air intake boot and clamp. On the first restart/ application of gas, it ate the chunk of pot metal, took out one spark plug, and scratched up that cylinder wall--on an old cast iron block design. Insurance paid for a new short block, and damage was only found after the body work and i picked up the car the first time. They should should have totaled it if they had done a better inspection/tear down.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-29-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: AUDI A8 D3 4.2 V8 BFM. CAR SWITCHED OFF WHILE DRIVING .