A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S8 D3 wing mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S8 D3 wing mirror

I am trying to fit a new wing mirror to my D3 S8. I have got the old mirror mount off, but trying to work out how the wire gets into the car.

I have the door card off and have disconnected the connector but can't see how the wire travels through the car!

My car is literally in bit at the moment, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Dave
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for this!

Kind of wish I didn't start this now... I didn't relise I would have to remove the assembly carrier and window frame.

Do you know if the window glass needs to be completely down to do this? Been looking at it for an hour now and worried about the glass, and even though I unscrewed the assembly carrier, it appears to be fairly solid, heavy and doesn't want to move.

Thanks
Dave!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 04-09-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

I found this thread to be the only one quite somewhat useful for me - attempting to replace a busted driver's side wing mirror on my 2004 A8 D3. Following the diagrams / instructions above, I was able to get all the way to removing the door card, window carrier and window frame. However, at this point it became clear that there is no way - that I can see anyway - that the mirror cable and connector at the end of it - can be pulled through and out of the door. For a start, the clips holding it to the door are so far inside the front of the door interior that they cannot be reached, or even seen. And my hands are not that big Furthermore, the hole in the door frame where the cable goes to the mirror is simply not big enough to fit the connector through. So in the end, after reassembing the window frame, carrier and door card, I did what turned out to be the simplest and easiest thing, which involved no disassembly at all. I just removed the triangular piece of trim at the front of the door to get access to the bolt holding the old mirror in place, undid it to release the old mirror, cut the old mirror cable leaving two inches protruding from the door, then cut the new mirror cable also with about two inches protruding. Then carefuly cross-matched the wire colours between old and new, and spliced/soldered each corresponding wire. The excess wire length could be poked down the cable hole in the door, after insulating each spliced wire, enabling the new mirror to be bolted on. Job done.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

damn, this looks more difficult than changing the AC compressor
Old 01-31-2017, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As this is about the best write up on Google (thanks) I thought I'd add to it.

There is a far simpler way to replace a smashed mirror assembly if your loom is intact.

Instead of removing the door internals, just remove the mirror glass and cover as per the above instructions.

Detach all the wiring connectors from the motors/lights etc then remove the access cover inside the car and undo the single bolt holding the assembly to the door frame. Pull the remnants of the mirror away from the vehicle and feed the loom through the access hole.

Remove the loom from your replacement mirror in the same manner, feed it into the replacement mirror then bolt it back on.

You'll need two torx screwdrivers and a trim removing tool and that's it.

Takes less than an hour in total.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the image links are dead. Does anyone have the tutorial on how to remove the wing mirror. Mine high-fived a deer at 65 MPH this morning.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A gentle plea.....

anyone have info/pics for disassembly of the drivers door? I need to get the new mirror on.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Here, this includes all the directions necessary to do your repair. It does require bouncing between a couple pages, but it will have everything you need.

Quick Reply: Audi S8 D3 wing mirror