A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best audio upgrade option

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best audio upgrade option

Hey guys!

I have a 2005 A8, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to listen to audio for my particular situation. I've been reading about the various things folks have done, and I'm now more confused than ever. My car has the 6 disc CD changer in the glove box, but no AMI unit installed beside it. I have not pulled the CD changer out to see what wires/connectors exist behind it.

I just want to listen to music; I have an IPod Nano with a lightning connector that I could dedicate to the car which is filled with AAC and MP3 files, and I have a USB flash drive filled with WAV files that I could also just leave in the car. I intend to just listen to the music on random; that's it. The only "convenience" I really need is the ability to advance the song from the car's controls. I have no need for playlists, making calls, etc., and I think I'd prefer a manual connection between the car and the device, as opposed to Bluetooth (for the IPod) in order to avoid connectivity issues.

At the risk of asking a ridiculously stupid question; is there a simple wired connection option for the D3 that would work well and which would allow me to control the song advance from the car's controls? Of course, ideally it would also charge the IPod.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The simple and elegant solution, in my view, is the device Audi designed for it - the Audi Music Interface [AMI].

Not sure what prices are in the US [would have to be pre-used] but it elegantly interfaces into the MMI allowing selections from the car's MMI screen and if the AMI is updated to the latest/final version [0850], it will play Apple devices and USB FAT32 formatted drives. But note that you'd need to source separate connectors from the AMI to the device for the iPod and the USB stick. [You can't connect both at once].

Also not sure what electrical and optical connections are in the dash for 2005 US cars but you'd probably need a power/data and optical 'y cables' to intercept the CD Stacker connections. If you've got the latest US MMI [4610] and won't need CDs anymore, you could do away with the 'y cables' and replace the CD stacker with the AMI. [Must admit; I've had both for over 8 years in my UK 2005 A8 and I've driven about 150,000 miles in that time and used the CD for about three hours]!

The AMI will charge 'Apple stuff' too if you leave it in the car.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-11-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the AMI kit is the only way you can control the music from the car controls.
I'm looking to do the same for my 06 A8, but I want Bluetooth to my phone to stream Spotify. I just need to find where I can buy the AMI kit and a Bluetooth adapter for it.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Fiscon Pro or Denison BT500S offer A2DP BT streaming and telephone, as well as device control via the MMI and steering wheel controls.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDragonV09
... I just need to find where I can buy the AMI kit and a Bluetooth adapter for it.
The AMI is only available 'pre-owned' so you need to look on eBay [or other equivalent sites]. The MMI 2G version is HW part number 4E0 035 785 [and confusingly, has a SW part number of 4E0 035 785 too ].

You can get an AMI off American or European sites as the same hardware and software was used on both continents. Firmware level 0850 [4E0 035 785F] is the latest/last version; you can get to this level from an older level AMI by using the MMI update CDs.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-11-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If all you want to do is play random songs and not interested in playlists etc. then just find the cheapest of any of the above. AMI Fiscon or Denison.
I have the Denison but it does far more than you want but once you have it i'm sure you will be glad.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDragonV09
Using the AMI kit is the only way you can control the music from the car controls.
I'm looking to do the same for my 06 A8, but I want Bluetooth to my phone to stream Spotify. I just need to find where I can buy the AMI kit and a Bluetooth adapter for it.
I have a Denison and I can control my music from steering controls and MMI and also have USB & Ipod at the same time and another AUX available with RCA Phono input.
All bases covered
Old 10-11-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys, for all the input. I'll look through these options and move forward!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveoH
Thanks, guys, for all the input. I'll look through these options and move forward!
another option is SiriusXM....if you do not have the module, they are super cheap....like $50 bucks. Plus, you can call them and get their promo price for $25 for 5 months. Just note the end date and call them back and request the same promotion. I 've been doing this for a long time.

For the price of a $350 AMI, you can get close to 5 years of satellite music, sports channels, etc. Not the best audio quality, but a nice variety.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 AM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cheaper Still

Originally Posted by Aceler8
another option is SiriusXM....if you do not have the module, they are super cheap....like $50 bucks. Plus, you can call them and get their promo price for $25 for 5 months. Just note the end date and call them back and request the same promotion. I 've been doing this for a long time.

For the price of a $350 AMI, you can get close to 5 years of satellite music, sports channels, etc. Not the best audio quality, but a nice variety.
Burn your MP3s onto CD-Rs.

Quick Reply: Best audio upgrade option