A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best audio upgrade option

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
Burn your MP3s onto CD-Rs.
That's actually a good option but I'm not sure when the MP3 capable CD units became available in US cars. [I don't have MP3 capability with the CD unit in my Nov 2004 UK car].

But if it's an option here are the part numbers for the hardware:
4E0 035 110 x : Supports MP3 format CDs [VCDS labels this 'MP3-Changer']
4E0 035 111 x : Doesn't support MP3 CDs [VCDS labels this 'CD-Changer']
Corrected from previously wrong [swapped] values.
Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-11-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
That's actually a good option but I'm not sure when the MP3 capable CD units became available in US cars. [I don't have MP3 capability with the CD unit in my Nov 2004 UK car].

But if it's an option here are the part numbers for the hardware:
4E0 035 111 x : Supports MP3 format CDs [VCDS labels this 'MP3-Changer']
4E0 035 110 x : Doesn't support MP3 CDs [VCDS labels this 'CD-Changer']

Julian
Thanks Julian! This is definitely an option, but like you, I have a player that doesn't recognize mp3's. I will order the 111 version of the CD player, and just create a bunch of MP3 discs.

Will changing out the CD players require any coding? If so, any help with the code numbers would be awesome, if anyone out there might know it.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveoH
Thanks Julian! This is definitely an option, but like you, I have a player that doesn't recognize mp3's. I will order the 111 version of the CD player, and just create a bunch of MP3 discs.

Will changing out the CD players require any coding? If so, any help with the code numbers would be awesome, if anyone out there might know it.
CD changer will need CP removed.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24835047
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

... Will changing out the CD players require any coding? If so, any help with the code numbers would be awesome, if anyone out there might know it.
There is no coding required but as Louis indicated, the CD & MP players go into CP and need Audi Dealer or authorised equivalent to remove it.

You need to factor in the cost of doing this in your location when comparing prices to other devices. [Note: the AMI does not go into CP].

Julian
Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The best bang for the buck is an AMI with a USB 1TB hard drive. Rip or transfer all the music in the world onto the drive. Want to add more? JUst pull the drive out, plug it into a PC and rip away. 1TB drives cost about $60.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Part number correction ...

Be aware that I stupidly got the CD/MP3 hardware part numbers the wrong way round in my earlier post. The text in the previous post has been amended to the correct values.

Julian
Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
There is no coding required but as Louis indicated, the CD & MP players go into CP and need Audi Dealer or authorised equivalent to remove it.

You need to factor in the cost of doing this in your location when comparing prices to other devices. [Note: the AMI does not go into CP].

Julian
Thanks again. So what is CP and what's involved in having it removed?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

In simple terms, CP [Component Protection] is where the Audi devices/ECUs know the VIN of the vehicle they are installed in by Audi at manufacture.

When you swap such a device/ECU to another vehicle, the MMI software recognises the VIN mismatch [that is, a device from another car] and disables most of its functions. [Theft prevention].

In the case of the CD/MP3 players it apparently 'gaps' the sound playing, effectively making them unuseable. [Diagnostics software, when interrogating the device/ECU will indicate CP is active].

Strangely, not all Audi devices seem to use it; the CD/MP3 players do but the AMI doesn't.

It has to be removed by dealers [originally Audi only but now some trusted and validated independents] who have access to the Audi computer link that can connect to HQ [that is Germany]. This resets 'ownership' of the device to the new vehicle. I'm told this can be upwards of $100 in the US.

Julian
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Just buy the TV Tuner or AMI, don't open a can of worms for limited options. I have MP3 cd on my Q7 and never used once in years. All my kids take turns to stream their music from Spotify on any long trip, I don't even get to hear my playlist on my iPhone 3 30 pin connectors. Now I have USB drive to get rid of the iPhone 3.
You bought a 12 year old car that is capable of everything, got to love audi engineering, but you need to plan and execute. There's no other brand can do what we can with MMI. Stop wandering around and ended up wasting money. Watch all the videos that I show what you can do with $100 tv tuner. If you're not handy, just buy an AMI, get a cable with both Auxiliary and USB which I doubt they sell, you can have both streaming and music on drive. You need to modify the cable for sure since I haven't seen any sold.
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-12-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Louis;

Thanks for the input; I PM'd you a couple days ago regarding the TV tuner. I am somewhat handy, and wouldn't hesitate to take this on, but have a couple questions when I watch your video on how to set the TV tuner up.

PM me when you get a chance so we can take it offline.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Stephen

Quick Reply: Best audio upgrade option