A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth phone module retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bluetooth phone module retrofit

I've got the motorola bluetooth phone i my A8 W12. Of course i can't pair my own phone with it, and i know i need to replace the interface box.

I found somewhere instructions about it, but unable to find them again.

1. There was something about replacing the electrical connector to the box or fixing the pinout?

2. Also, the interfacebox is connected to the optical MOST bus if i understand right, is my existing box connected to most, apparently it is and i don't need to route an optical cable?

3. Is there anything else i need to do than to replace the interfacebox, code it and rewire the connector?

4. Can i keep my funky motorola in the armrest?

5. If not, can i have both interfaceboxes installed, probaly not?

6. Will the factory BT access my phonebook in the phone, or just let me call via my phone, OR do i need rSAP for this?

Last edited by volvopentaman; 12-22-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I did this, but originally I had OnStar box, so not exactly the same.

1. Original harness has 42 pins. Bluetooth 52, but you need only five of them. 12V, ground, two for the microphone and one ring test wire.

2. OnStar was not connected to the MOST ring. Dig under the driver side carpet and check if Motorola is. You have to go there anyways.

I've installed Bluetooth module next to the Navigation module in the trunk. Used MOST connection from Sirius I don't use. That's better spot anyways. No flood risk there.

3. As far as I remember you have to change Phone > Settings > UHV or something like that.

4. You can. As a decoration.

5. I don't think so. They would interfere each other.

6. Yes. It will be very handy. Everything works. I believe you need the latest MMI update for some phones.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to convert from OnStar to factory Bluetooth as you did. What other parts did you require and do you have any more details on how you installed? I am considering ordering a 2005 bluetooth module. thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Go for a newer Bluetooth module. Be sure that it has MOST (optical) ring connections. Order 52 pin harness from a dealer.

OnStar module is under the driver side carpet. No MOST there, so I recommend installing it in the trunk, left side. There is MOST, may be even free (looped) connection. You need to bring two microphone wires from OnStar harness to the back and splice power, ground and MOST control wire from any other module there. If you decide to go that way you can find exact wires in the wiring diagram. I can help you there.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can I remove the OnStar module and place the bluetooth module there and use the wiring in that location rather than running wires to the trunk? I really appreciate the guidance :-) Also, would a 2005 bluetooth unit have MOST? How can I verify?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you get a BT module that has not been in a flood damaged vehicle. The BT unit seems to be the first thing to go when the car gets wet. (I have 5 broken ones in my Audi parts bin). If you buy it on e-Bay or other make sure you get it warrantied that it is not broken.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

MOST is a fiber optic ring connecting various modules. You can recognize it by this fiber optic connector:

Name:  BluetoothModule_zps9cec4d21.jpg
Views: 6315
Size:  37.9 KB

It is way easier and cheaper to bring two wires to the trunk than to bring two fiber optics underneath drivers carpet. It is also flood proof to install it in the trunk. Not so where they originally put it.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is it possible to use the MOST from the CD exchanger that I don't use rather than the satellite radio in the trunk (which I do use and do not want to give up)? Do you have the wiring and installation instructions available that you referenced? Thank you again.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is possible but not advisable. You need CD to update your software and bringing microphone wires there is more complicated. You can add MOST plug at the back. If you check AMI retrofit you will see one of those junctions.

I can find pin layout from wiring diagram. It is just 5 pins on a Bluetooth box and 2 from old OnStar box.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
2. OnStar was not connected to the MOST ring. Dig under the driver side carpet and check if Motorola is. You have to go there anyways.

I've installed Bluetooth module next to the Navigation module in the trunk. Used MOST connection from Sirius I don't use. That's better spot anyways. No flood risk there.
Although this thread is rather old, I can confirm, for those who may have an interest in this retrofit, that Motorola phone controller located under the carpet IS connected to the MOST ring. It is enclosed in a black box which has a gasket around the wiring loom, so there is no risk of damaging the controller in case water gets there (I am more concerned about the immo in this case, which is not protected by any box).

1. Original harness has 42 pins. Bluetooth 52, but you need only five of them. 12V, ground, two for the microphone and one ring test wire.
I am interested in this retrofit myself. The wires you mentioned are already there, in the 42-pin connector, so it seems it's almost plug and play - you only need to replace the connector along with the new controller, right?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone module retrofit