A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken gear in MMI screen retraction unit, A8 2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken gear in MMI screen retraction unit, A8 2004

I mean 4E0 857 273D unit. There are 2 hard black gears and 1 soft white. White loose two teeth. My dealer sad that i need to replace whole part. It costs about 500$. I can't believe that Audi doesen't produce repair set for it. If anybody has an access to Audi repair set databace, please look...
Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Broken gear in MMI screen retraction unit, A8 2004

Get one from a breaker? Get one with a dead screen?

Or strip it down and take it to a model shop....
Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You don't want to use metal gears as replacements. Audi made them plastic for a reason. Using metal replacements is likely to cause damage either the motor gear or worse the traveler arm gears which will be nearly impossible to replace.

I have worked with a local machine shop to reproduce exact replicas of the plastic gear pairs and have them available for anyone that wants. Please contact me directly by email at jrstokka at gmail dot com.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nonsense, they made them plastic to cut costs. Nice job spamming the site without paying for advertising.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is another seller - this may well be a genuine part -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I may well just buy one to see how it works out, a bit of competition may well just bring the price down to something sensible.
Oh, and I promise, I have no vested interest in this listing!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think they would be plastic for noise issues (plastic would be quieter) and to ensure that if something malfunctioned, the cheaper gear would break rather than the motor which would likely be the case if you're using a metal gear.

Then again, for as refined as these cars are, the MMI displays are obnoxiously noisy compared to the 2011 cars.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I would think they would be plastic for noise issues (plastic would be quieter) and to ensure that if something malfunctioned, the cheaper gear would break rather than the motor which would likely be the case if you're using a metal gear.

Then again, for as refined as these cars are, the MMI displays are obnoxiously noisy compared to the 2011 cars.
I agree. Generally speaking I don’t see why is it retractable at all. When it is on it looks like some add-on and it is always on when car is running. Why didn’t they just incorporate it in the dash board like Japanese do? A bit bigger touch screen wouldn’t hurt either.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I agree. Generally speaking I don’t see why is it retractable at all. When it is on it looks like some add-on and it is always on when car is running. Why didn’t they just incorporate it in the dash board like Japanese do? A bit bigger touch screen wouldn’t hurt either.
I love that it pops out of the dash... I'm all for those (frequently breaking) gimmicks. That's about the only thing I think the Phaeton has on the A8, those little vent covers that slide up.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I understand you. Love is blind.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I love that it pops out of the dash... I'm all for those (frequently breaking) gimmicks. That's about the only thing I think the Phaeton has on the A8, those little vent covers that slide up.
Those vent covers are pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Broken gear in MMI screen retraction unit, A8 2004