A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Trunk With Remote Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome!

I'm a new A8 L owner as of 2 days ago. Been looking around the forums getting acquainted and learning. Just wanted to say hi, and thank you for this mod. I'll be implementing this ASAP.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the community. Let's see pics when you can.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I live in Wigan UK.
I have done this modification and the only snag was that the green with white tracer wire was actually green with yellow tracer. I was able to confirm that it was the the same connection and the mod is working 100%
For the earth connection I tapped into the brown wire on the boot lid motor socket.
This kept the three wires from the relay very short and made the mod realy small and tidy.
Cost was £2.98 for the relay from Maplin.
Everything else, wire, scotch locks(compression joints) and heatshrink sleeving I had available in my toolbox.
All in all a very good and easy mod.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tc4332
I live in Wigan UK.
I have done this modification and the only snag was that the green with white tracer wire was actually green with yellow tracer. I was able to confirm that it was the the same connection and the mod is working 100%
For the earth connection I tapped into the brown wire on the boot lid motor socket.
This kept the three wires from the relay very short and made the mod realy small and tidy.
Cost was £2.98 for the relay from Maplin.
Everything else, wire, scotch locks(compression joints) and heatshrink sleeving I had available in my toolbox.
All in all a very good and easy mod.
I'm going to attempt this but was waiting to find a new boot/trunhk motor as mine does not lift the boot up sometimes.
When you say boot lid motor you do mean the one that lifts the boot not the lock.
So did you do the 2nd version of the install from the right handside where the battery is?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
I'm going to attempt this but was waiting to find a new boot/trunhk motor as mine does not lift the boot up sometimes.
When you say boot lid motor you do mean the one that lifts the boot not the lock.
So did you do the 2nd version of the install from the right handside where the battery is?
Sorry for any confusion. Yes I mean the motor that does the hard work.
Sorry to hear about the motor failure, I have heard that it has been a problem for some, and did read somewhere that a strip down and clean works wonders.
Only problem I had was that the drive arm snapped, did a botch repair by splinting it with a metal plate and two bolts (bit like Meccano days of yore). Worked OK till I received a replacement part. Took about thirty minutes to replace but that was because the motor fell out. Should have read the destruction manual first.
As for the mod, yes second way, in the battery compartment on the right hand side.
To make cable identification easier I actually unwound the loom wrappers for a couple of inches then rewound on completion.
Unable to show a photo, she-who-must-be-obeyed is out and about in the motor.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ok thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice! More people doing it! It's pretty cool, huh? It's also very handy when you're about to pull away and realize the trunk is open, so you can just reach down and take off.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project completed successfully!

I went the trunk trim removal method. it was very straight forward and I had plenty of space to work on wires. I used a standard automotive 4-pin relay. Tested and found functional with one push of a button.

This is an awesome add and very convenient to me passing thru company's security gates .

Thanks Louis and keep up your awesome projects.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi guys,

I sow this topic and buy a relay but don realy know how to do it... can you very clear write again how to connect it? I am not from US or any Eanglish language country :P

I know what wire you talk about but wonna ask if i should unplug it from there and connect to relay(from latch and switch) or connect in this places another wires and connect them to relay?
Old 01-15-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you help me with the numbers where should i put this wires on my relay?
I got green/white, yellow/green, 2xbrown.

Quick Reply: Close Trunk With Remote Experiment