A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door soft close

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door closing problem issue

I had the same problem with the door self close. The problem is the cable is snapped on the self close assist actuator. You can only buy the actuator complete with cable and you will see why when you try and do this job. The acuator kit is around $135 at audi usa parts. You have to take the door completely apart and it is really not a do it yourself job by any means. The acuator kit is a pain is the *** to get in. Just order one and you will see the amazing complex engineering that went into it...its ridicoulous. If you want to try and attempt it send me an emailand I will try and assist, but you do have to take the door completeley I mean completely apart to get it in.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
I had the same problem with the door self close. The problem is the cable is snapped on the self close assist actuator. You can only buy the actuator complete with cable and you will see why when you try and do this job. The acuator kit is around $135 at audi usa parts. You have to take the door completely apart and it is really not a do it yourself job by any means. The acuator kit is a pain is the *** to get in. Just order one and you will see the amazing complex engineering that went into it...its ridicoulous. If you want to try and attempt it send me an emailand I will try and assist, but you do have to take the door completeley I mean completely apart to get it in.
WOW thanks for the info, I had no idea it was so complicated.
I might try and attempt this myself though.
do you know if its a common problem?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is a fairly common problem. Take the inner paner off then the metal fram panel. After a few little things you can actually take the old assy out. If the complete assy comes out you will be able to see the cable sheered off near the cam(easy part yeah right). If that is the case you will have to take the entire window frame assy out to access the door handle. It is crazy that they made it this complicated (the door handle is the first part installed on the door hence removing everything to get it out or at it to connect the cable for the door close assist mech to it. Literally you will have a hollow shell of a door when your ready to install the new one. But like I said you can get the old one out to see if it is broken with 50-60% tear down. If you have any detailed questions along the way I can give you specifics on the job.

But look at the bright side I have the entire engine out of my 05 a8L for a ridicoulous oil leak on the backside of the engine. I pretty much know the car inside and out so if you have any questions just let me know. One last engineering marvel that Audi came up with. If your starter goes bad you have to remove the engine mounts and cradle to get it out. Found a lot of great stealership engineering that went into making the car, but what can you do you own a $100k Audi
Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First post at AudiWorld Forum, thank you all for the knowledgeable help.

I am having a similar problem on my 06 A8 SWB, but in my case the close assists on both doors on the drivers' side of the car are not working. Any ideas other than the motors? Is there a fuse for these on each side of the car?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did they go out at the same time? Can you hear them trying to actuate?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
Did they go out at the same time? Can you hear them trying to actuate?
They went out at approximately the same time, but I can't tell for sure. I cannot hear them trying to actuate at all.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

just had an issue with mine today i do hear it actuate but it doesnt suck in the door. can it only be solved by buying a new part or does something just need to be realigned
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCA8L
just had an issue with mine today i do hear it actuate but it doesnt suck in the door. can it only be solved by buying a new part or does something just need to be realigned
Read the previous posts...

We cannot diagnose it by your description, it most likely needs a new switch or possibly a new cable. Read the archives and make an assessment. If you don't want the expense just disable it in VCDS like I did, or live with it, or pony up and pay to fix it.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Both my left two doors do not soft close. When I approach car; after it sits awhile; I start to open the door and I hear the motor of closer run. Rear door will do the same! Doesn't run after that. Wonder if its a switch or my cable is broken. I don't think its worth replacing unit if cable bad but might try a switch. Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default soft close door issue

My '07 A8 SWB with 60K miles had the right rear door not functioning on soft close when I bought it last fall. The other three worked perfectly. I could hear a 'clicking' sound when I closed the door to the point where the soft closing should take over, but no movement of the door.

Couldn't see any obvious problem, but one day I decided to see if something was 'sticking' in the mechanism. So - I sprayed some Kroil Penephite (Kroil penetrating oil with graphite) on the components by the door latch. In a 60 degree F environment, it then soft closed some of the time. Didn't close when colder. I then used some SiliKroil (Kroil penetrating oil with silicone) and sprayed carefully in the same manner. It now functions all the time at temperatures above about 30 degrees F. I'll probably spray it a few more times this spring/summer and see what happens when it gets cold again in the fall.

Simple and easy fix for me. Probably wouldn't tear the door apart if that hadn't worked, as we rarely use that door.

Gary Knox

Quick Reply: Driver door soft close