A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door soft close

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

And yours is 2012... D4? BTW, everything on your car should be under warranty
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
And yours is 2012... D4? BTW, everything on your car should be under warranty
On my 2005 D3.
I should have clarified....

75k service plus new tires - now that was a whopper!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 audi a8l....do I have soft close doors and what is "soft close"?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mishar
Coming closer to the age when you impress your friends by being still alive.
LOL...that's awesome. Staying sharp all the way.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

soft close is close the door half way and it will suck the door all the way in. If you close your door half way and it it just sits there, like my kids, they will turn around and use their butt to push it in all the way, you don't have soft close.

I don't know if 04 has the options, but I wouldn't be surprised it has.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

5 days ago my driver door stop "soft closing" on my 06 A8. the thing is i dont hear the motor attempting to close the door shut. can this also be the ripped cable or maybe a sensor of some sort?
i always use my soft close feature... left the car unlocked about 5 times because the door was open.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same Problem, but on Driver's Door

Gary,

I bought some Silikroil. I was wondering if you could clarify where you did the spraying. I hear actuator noise when the door gets to that first latch position and it has been cold in our area recently, so I'm hoping this might do the trick.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Look at the door as it gets close to closing. You will see where the latch mechanism is in the door that mates up with the chassis. Using the 'snorkel' on the Silikroil, I carefully sprayed into that area on the 'outer' side of the latch (the side away from the chassis). Then I closed the door several times. Did another spraying after a few minutes and repeated the closings. The temperature was about 60 degrees when I did this and after these two 'treatments', the door would then perform the soft close. I treated it another couple of times - just for good measure - and it now closes softly in all temperatures down to the 2 degrees we had last week.

Be very careful with the Silikroil, as you do not want to get any silicone on the body itself. Silicone on the paint of the car leads to serious problems if re-painting is ever necessary in that area.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My drivers door wasn't working when I bought my '07 but what bothers me is the door doesn't close as smoothly as the others, it requires a bit more elbow. Could this be do to the feature not working? After sitting for a while I sometimes here a click and what could be the motor once the door is open. Records indicate a window was replaced and I assume it was on this door, window also creeks a bit just before fulling closing. The door seems to be aligned but I'm wondering if it needs adjusting?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Gary Knox
My '07 A8 SWB with 60K miles had the right rear door not functioning on soft close when I bought it last fall. The other three worked perfectly. I could hear a 'clicking' sound when I closed the door to the point where the soft closing should take over, but no movement of the door.

Couldn't see any obvious problem, but one day I decided to see if something was 'sticking' in the mechanism. So - I sprayed some Kroil Penephite (Kroil penetrating oil with graphite) on the components by the door latch. In a 60 degree F environment, it then soft closed some of the time. Didn't close when colder. I then used some SiliKroil (Kroil penetrating oil with silicone) and sprayed carefully in the same manner. It now functions all the time at temperatures above about 30 degrees F. I'll probably spray it a few more times this spring/summer and see what happens when it gets cold again in the fall.

Simple and easy fix for me. Probably wouldn't tear the door apart if that hadn't worked, as we rarely use that door.

Gary Knox
I
​​​​
​​
I know this is an old thread but was checking it out as I had the same problem on the n/s/f door on my RS6 (2009). I could hear the door close motor running but it wasn’t pulling the door to the close position. I decided to try the penetrating oil solution before spending a few hundred pounds at the dealership getting it diagnosed and repaired. I purchased some white lithium spray grease (3in1). First application didn’t work. I then used a screwdriver blade to press into the lock mechanism to activate the soft close whilst the door was open. After a few attempts it ‘locked’ on to the screwdriver blade. Whilst in this simulated ‘fully closed’ position, I was able to give the closer mechanism a good coating of lithium grease. It’s worked faultlessly ever since (3 days now) and temperatures down to minus2 some nights! Hope this works for anyone else with the same problem!

Quick Reply: Driver door soft close