A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine start/stop without key

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine start/stop without key

My 09 A8L 4.2 (D3) will start by depressing the start button and shut down by pressing the stop button without a key resident in the car. Is there
any set of circumstances i.e., mmi settings (I couldn't find any), or procedural condition (I leave the car unlocked for long periods of time days, weeks)
that would permit starting and shutting down without a key. I discovered this yesterday. I started the car and made 3 stops shutting down
and starting up each time. At the 4th stop for whatever reason, I decided to lock the car but discovered that I had my wife's Subaru key fob rather than
the Audi's when the doors wouldn't lock. I only have one key fob. I thought perhaps there was another somewhere in the car I was not aware
of, but if so, I should have a warning according to the manual that a key was in the car when I closed the door. there was no warning light
illuminated on the dash nor has there been since I've had the car - almost 4-weeks now. I just unlocked the doors and pl the key inside the house
about 30-40' away from the car. I was able to start and turn off the engine without the key. Tried it again with the key at the back of the house 50-60'
away and I was still able to start the car without having the key in the car. There is no key warning light on in the car. Any clues out there??

Antonini
Old 05-29-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello Antonini,
It certainly sounds like there is a key in the vehicle somewhere, as to the warning you mentioned about key being in the vehicle, I have never seen that, I do have a 05 W12 though and not an 09, but the only warning I have ever seen in my vehicle was that the key was not present, therefore it would not start.
Being you have only had the car for 4 weeks, did you buy it privately, or dealer, if privately I would call the seller and ask about any second key left in the vehicle, or any aftermarket alarm auto start system installed, if dealer and a trade-in then dealer may call previous owner and ask the same questions, if dealer and said dealer picked up at auction you are kind of out of luck getting any answers, I would be searching the vehicle top to bottom and front to back, it certainly is behaving like there is a key in the vehicle somewhere, as it will NOT lock because it sees a key fob in the vehicle.

Johnny J J

Originally Posted by Antonini
My 09 A8L 4.2 (D3) will start by depressing the start button and shut down by pressing the stop button without a key resident in the car. Is there
any set of circumstances i.e., mmi settings (I couldn't find any), or procedural condition (I leave the car unlocked for long periods of time days, weeks)
that would permit starting and shutting down without a key. I discovered this yesterday. I started the car and made 3 stops shutting down
and starting up each time. At the 4th stop for whatever reason, I decided to lock the car but discovered that I had my wife's Subaru key fob rather than
the Audi's when the doors wouldn't lock. I only have one key fob. I thought perhaps there was another somewhere in the car I was not aware
of, but if so, I should have a warning according to the manual that a key was in the car when I closed the door. there was no warning light
illuminated on the dash nor has there been since I've had the car - almost 4-weeks now. I just unlocked the doors and pl the key inside the house
about 30-40' away from the car. I was able to start and turn off the engine without the key. Tried it again with the key at the back of the house 50-60'
away and I was still able to start the car without having the key in the car. There is no key warning light on in the car. Any clues out there??

Antonini

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 05-29-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you Johnny. The car does lock with the FOB I have. The 09s have a yellow key that lights up on the dash when a
key fob is left in the car. I sent the dealer a note last night and I doubt very much it was a trade-in. If all else fails, I'll call
the service guys at a local Audi Dealership - see what they say. I thought there might be a MMI setting but I couldn't find one.
I will search the car though.

Antonini
Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hopefully, there is a key in the car and I hope you find it. That would be a big score.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. Indeed it would be a big score!! I'll turn the car upside down when it cools down later
this afternoon and go through the owners manual again before I call the Audi store.