A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forgot to switch to "JACK MODE"...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default forgot to switch to "JACK MODE"...

rotated tires by jacking-up one side of car ,then letting that side down and doing the other side. Is that likely to have done any damage? I don't know what the jack mode actually does.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was towing mode, not jack mode. Other than that, don't know much about it. See if the manual has any information. I'd do it but I have to leave in 45 seconds. Also, try scanning the forums for "towing mode".
Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't ever use jack mode. As when I take the car to discount tire I guarantee they never put it in jack mode to lift the car up, nor does my mechanic when he had to look at my control arm bushings. Never harm done, your just being over cautious . But if possible use jack mode as much as possible.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
rotated tires by jacking-up one side of car ,then letting that side down and doing the other side. Is that likely to have done any damage? I don't know what the jack mode actually does.
Jack mode basically keeps the suspension "locked". When you don't use it, suspension travel is maximized. That basically means that if you use the car equipped jack and do not shim it with a 2" shim, you may not be able to raise the car high enough to change a wheel/tire.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Yes, sometimes I remember, sometimes not

As Mister Bally said, seems to basically just deal with shocks notextending so far if you engage it.

What I do always end up doing is putting the suspension in the highest setting to start. Otherwise, it is hard to get my (already pretty low height) floor jack under the car, especially in front. I always use the subframe mounting points there rather than the hand jack point since it seems much stronger and also not subject to showing dings from jacking.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have to change the rear brakes and I'm having a problem getting the MMI to jack mode.........I get to jack mode on the screen and it's reading off...What do I press to enter jack mode on?????? ..... Don.......
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Select it by pushing the **** while jack mode is highlighted. It should then show a box to right with the on / off selections. Rotate till ON is highlighted then push the **** to select it.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not using it never seems to harm an A8, but never fail to enter jacking mode on the original model allroad. A tyre place did that to me once and cause over £1k of damage.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, the Jack Mode HAVE to be engaged each time if you are jacking one side of the car. If you are jacking the car itself the Jack mode does not have to be activated.
The reason behind it is following. If you lift one side the car will try to balance it and will distribute the pressure to other side. The lifted side will virtually have vacuum (0 or even negative pressure)! Due to that the rubber balloon could be shrinking and when you will put the wheel on the ground there is a chance to cut the rubber balloon!
When you switch the suspension to the Jack mode it fill the balloons with some pressure and it will lock the valves, so car is no longer trying to balance the pressure. As a result it will be always a pressure inside of the system and rubber will never be deformed.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Jack mode is there to prevent leveling system to oppose lifting so it is easier. If it is not engaged nothing will happen. Air springs will not go to the zero pressure even with disconnected air hoses. There are security valves to prevent that, but even without them leveling system is not programmed to commit a suicide. Vacuum would be only possible if there is a vacuum pump in the system.

Quick Reply: forgot to switch to "JACK MODE"...