A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German D3 fun-facts/trivia

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the long wheelbase 4.2:
Originally Posted by awdinut
no front markers
no sun roof
power side shades
4 seat configuration
fingerprint recognition START/STOP button
Nougat Ash wood trim
Originally Posted by jakematic
The Audi logo phone in the armrest is pretty cool. On passenger side due to EU mobile phone laws?
Looks like a useable storage bin under the armrests where our phones go.
It may have been placed in passenger's side armrest because it would be ergonomically difficult to get the phone out with the right hand/arm. With the driver's side armrest lid up, there would be little room to move right arm back to reach the phone. Using the right arm for this would be necessary while driving as crossing over with the left while controlling the wheel with the right would be too awkward in my opinion.

As Mike_k mentioned, though the taillights could have been retrofited, it has facelift taillights with a pre-facelift single grill front end and pre-facelift side mirrors.

And the only item not identified so far for the LWB 4.2; it has power side sunshades as opposed to manual side sunshades on US spec 4.2's and S8's (power side sunshades are always present with the 4 seat config in US W12's so maybe that's why awdinut did not explicitly list it).

On the short wheelbase W12:
No rear seat entertainment package which was standard on US long wheelbase W12's.
No front passenger massage standard on US LWB W12's (and possibly no front driver massage but can't confirm since no driver's side photo is available).
Leather steering wheel with wood shifter (usually they go together, again possible retrofit could explain this).

And finally, the one option I've never seen before; power side sunshades in a short wheelbase rear door. That means an S8 retrofit is possible since the option exists.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ModestW12
On the long wheelbase 4.2:
Leather steering wheel with wood shifter (usually they go together, again possible retrofit could explain this).
Oooooh, wood shifter just noticed that. Me want.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check out the strange D3 color combination and front passenger seat/ottoman in the first pic.

Also, I found a photo showing a European D3 with rear seat lumbar massage. The US manual that came with my W12 had a section for rear seat massage operation but this is the first I've seen photographed.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many UK cars have the full biometrics package as well.

There are a few cars around here with all those options and as others ahve said this car has the later rear lights.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those rear lights are the same as my 2006 - not the later style I don't think?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Edd W, did you notice the two new photos I attached in my latest post in this thread? The entire back of the front passenger seat flops out to form an ottoman. Plus, it is the only time I've seen a four individual powered seat setup without the full length center console. Not to mentioned black with light stripe seat (like some S8's have, though in this case beige/cream) and beige/cream carpets interior combo.

If you look closely, the second photo in the new post shows a button for lumbar massage in the rear seat like many US D3's have in their front seats.