A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going Back To MB, Selling Parts Off my A8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I have an occasional issue with the airbag light on my wife's Touareg for the front passenger seat.
I believe it is a cable routing issue under the seat and if the seat is moved too far forward or back it causes a poor connection and trips the light.

I have yet to remove the seat to have a look as right now it is fine but VW insist her car is new enough to have a revised loom which should have cured the problem. I am slightly nervous about looking at airbag wiring due to the possibility of triggering one and the dangers and problems that would cause. Is there a 'safe' way of working with them?

The Bentley manual cites all of the cautions and warnings. To completely remove the seat in my Beetle, the harness has to be disconnected including the trigger wires for the airbag. These are for the airbag that is internal to the seat for side impacts. The manual states that a special tool (not Ross-Tech) has to be connected as soon as the harness connector is removed. I decided not to take any chances and just flipped the seat up after I unbolted it and the track covers. The error code related to the driver's seat belt buckle switch for the airbag system. There are two switches in the driver's side buckle; the other is for the seat belt warning / interlock system.

All four wires had been exposed. Some shorted together and some to ground of the seat frame. The steel seat frame rubbed through the outer and inner insulation of the wire. I repaired all of the wiring and insulated everything. I also rerouted the wires so they are no longer exposed to the sharp edge that caused the problem in the first place.

Bottom line, you need diagnostic software to determine where the fault lies.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What??

" In another note, the S class is quite superior car in any way shape or form
specially when it comes to cost of ownership is definitely way above the rest."

I could hardly disagree more. Having owned an S-class, I think the D3 Audi is a better car in most respects than the newest S. The S is better in paint quality and power trunk lid operation as far as I am concerned. The D4 blows it away, but the lemming factor will continue to give MB customers until their cars get as bad as GMs were a few years ago. That and the still relatively lousy quality of dealer network. They're getting better, but they all have a long way to go to catch up with Lexus.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by Rowlie
" In another note, the S class is quite superior car in any way shape or form
specially when it comes to cost of ownership is definitely way above the rest."

I could hardly disagree more. Having owned an S-class, I think the D3 Audi is a better car in most respects than the newest S. The S is better in paint quality and power trunk lid operation as far as I am concerned. The D4 blows it away, but the lemming factor will continue to give MB customers until their cars get as bad as GMs were a few years ago. That and the still relatively lousy quality of dealer network. They're getting better, but they all have a long way to go to catch up with Lexus.
Everybody has his/her own opinion, but let's be fair in criticizing each.
owning one hardly makes anybody and expert, dealer service goes together with brand loyalty history and you can read here the treatment people get from Audi dealers.
some car companies give even better service because ... well they have to.
I give all the credit in the world to Audi for the amazing job they done to come back to a very media driven and ungrateful American market.
since the GT coupe I owned numerous Audis and S class Benz since the 300SDl,500 SE, 560 SEL, 3 2000,2001 S500, I skip the 140 chassis as I never liked and now my wife and I have driven 100k miles in an S550.
had my share with 5 and 7 series bmws.
dealer service is the best as any time there's a recall or anything they send a flat bed to pick up my car and deliver a loaner to my wife.
working at dealers in the past I can tell how service is regulated based on history with the brand and makes perfect sense, I do the same at my shop whether is a VW golf or an R8.
specially when it comes to reliability and cost of ownership few can complain about the S class.
I give my point of view as a person who does not favor any brand based on gadgets or fashion trends, I actually work on a lot of cars specially Audi and Porsche.
still no sides as I will take a sport motorcycle over any car you can name any day of the year.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Speaking of sport motorcycles,

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/27929116/index.html

still photos:
http://www.livingstondaily.com/apps/...5170801&Ref=PH

Drive safe.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Safe

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Always do
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

after 2 weeks at dealer, and them stripping the car down to bare metal and replacing every connector in airbag harness, they called me to let me know that the air bag problem continued, and now apparently they moved the drive seat side bolster airbag over to the passenger side, and apparently it was the side bolster air bag that is "defective" i feel this whole thing was just a scam to make money, although i am not paying for repair out of pocket, the bill so far is at $4500.00 dollars.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It does seem very poor that they could not diagnose that more accurately in the first place.
What are you doing now?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I told them i want car back, till they get replacement airbag in, then ill drop it off.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dealer

Sorry to hear your ordeal is not over yet.
is there another dealer close by?
the problem is in the people working on your car, and it sucks that they getting rewarded for lousy performance even if is not from your pocket.
Hate to tell you that you will have more issues now due to the fact that they took the entire interior apart and judging by their knowledge it will not be back together as it was from factory.
NEVER EVER take things apart unless you already explore and exhausted any other possible way to repair.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in front all weather mats if you still have them.

Quick Reply: Going Back To MB, Selling Parts Off my A8L